The question of war has been at the heart of the human experience since the beginning of political communities and remains an enduring feature of the international system and many states and societies. Understanding the causes and consequences of war is a complex task which requires an interdisciplinary approach. Throughout the War, Strategy and Intelligence (Specialist) MA degree offered at Aberystwyth University, you will engage with a diversity of fields from the social sciences and humanities to understand the phenomenon of war and the perennial but elusive quest for security that characterises international relations. As you explore fields such as military history, security, intelligence, strategic studies, and international relations, you will develop the knowledge and analytical instruments needed to understand the concepts of war and warfare, the various strategies used to wage it and the intelligence apparatuses used to inform those strategies.
CareersOur graduates have expansive career opportunities. Previous graduates from our Department have gone on to work:
- in the development sector
- in local and national politics
- for the Diplomatic Service
- for the Civil Service
- for NGOs
- with international organisations
- as journalists
- within academia
- as governmental and social researchers
- for Foreign Offices
- for the military
- in leadership roles in business/industry (CEOs/Chairmans)
- as political assistants
- as teachers, lawyers and accountants
- Warfare in the 21st Century
- British Counterinsurgency Warfare in the Twentieth Century
- Critical Security Studies: Contemporary Theories
- Critical Security Studies: Emerging Issues
- Feminist Approaches to Security
- Global Challenges and the Future of International Relations
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science Terrorism & Security View 489 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
- Good Undergraduate degree 2.2 (UK) (or above) equating to a mark of 56.5 or above.
- Copies of University transcripts (certified translated copies are required if original document is not in English or Welsh).
- Copies of Degree certificates (certified translated copies are required if original document is not in English or Welsh).
- Personal statement within 1-2 A4 pages.
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberystwyth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.