The most important research centres focusing on photonics in the area of Barcelona (three universities and one research centre) participate in this programme and offer a broad training in this field. Photonics, the science and technology of light, is one of the disciplines that will play a crucial role in the technology of the 21st century. The objective of this master's degree is to provide students with a broad and solid background in the different areas of photonics, as well as the tools needed to become future researchers and professionals in this field.The official master's degree in Photonics is highly international in character. It is offered 100% in English and classes are made up of individuals from many different countries.It also collaborates closely with the "European Erasmus Mundus Master Europhotonics" programme.
Career optionsThis Photonics Master's degree at Autonomous University of Barcelona will prepare you to become a valuable and recognised professional with the ability to develop your skills in R&D departments belonging to the optical, laser, communications or optoelectronics sector, or research institutes.
- Beam propagation and Fourier optics
- Photonics laboratory
- Quantum Optics
- Materials and Nanophotonics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Admission to the master’s degree in Photonics is evaluated in view of applicants’ academic records (their academic performance as well as the appropriateness of their qualification).
The following aspects will also be considered:
- A letter of recommendation from a person with a scientific or academic background in the field of optics/photonics or a related discipline, who has interacted with the student.
- Professional experience in the field of optics/photonics or a related discipline.
- Proof of scientific activity in the field of optics/photonics, such as collaboration with established research groups, scientific publications and presentations at conferences.
- A personal interview with the admissions committee (if necessary).
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75 EUR per credit during 12 months.
EU/EEA3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 50 EUR per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.