Never before has this area of study been so publicised, with the importance of infection and its control so visible during the coronavirus pandemic, which has highlighted the need for scientists who can contribute to infectious disease research from an understanding of epidemiology, to public health measures and how the immune system responds to viruses and vaccines.
At the Infection and Immunity MSc/PGDip/PGCert programme offered at University of Liverpool you will be taught by internationally-renowned infection and health scientists and clinicians in practice, to provide in-depth scientific knowledge and you will receive training for research that can be applied to academic, commercial and healthcare settings. In addition, you will learn digital, programming and informatic skills that are of increasing importance for research and many employers.
- Past graduates of the School of Life Sciences have continued their academic careers as research assistants or pursued further study leading to a PhD. Graduates have also developed careers in conservation or qualified to immediately go into industries. There is a demand currently for graduates with specialisations in science or computing to enter the teaching profession. Commercial sectors such as the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and agriculture industries will be possible employers of graduates, especially with the anticipated increases in the use of next-generation sequencing and the corresponding data analysis that will be required.
- The programme has a framework to enable you to improve skills in communication, statistics and critical evaluation in the context of infectious disease and immunology research. You will also develop skills in bioinformatics that are increasingly sought in many careers and education settings as well as leadership roles.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Statistics for Biological Research
- Informatics for Life Sciences
- Diagnostics, Therapeutics and Vaccines
- Coding for Life Sciences
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no strict application deadlines but applicants are encouraged to apply in good time, particularly if you require visas or have special requirements.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Human Medicine View 872 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- Normally, at least a 2.1 Honours degree in a Biological Sciences subject or equivalent. Candidates must have a scientific background acceptable to the Programme Director.
- Applications from international students are especially encouraged. International qualifications will be evaluated in line using the National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) guidelines.
International22000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10250 GBP per year during 12 months.
- EU: £22,000
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.