This MA in Musical Direction at Leeds Conservatoire encourages students to interrogate the role of the musical director and redefine it for themselves, through the continued collaborative, student-led development of new work across the year. With collaboration and individual artistry at the heart of all of our Theatre MAs, students will leave this course not only fully equipped to adapt to the changing face of theatre, but also with the skill set and tenacity required to drive that change.
Collaborative Practice and Performance
Collaboration is an integral part of the ethos at Leeds Conservatoire. Musical Direction students will share core modules with students from the other Theatre MAs, where they generate new work in a collaborative, student-led environment.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Practical Skills fop the Musical Director
Students will learn the skills that are necessary to work professionally as a musical director in the theatre industry. These include:
- Keyboard skills (including programming),conducting, song analysis, scoring and arranging.
- Working with singers; audition/accompaniment technique, repertoire lessons, acting through song classes and understanding vocal technique
- Rehearsal technique with actors, singers and musicians.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMusic Music History Liberal Arts View 232 other Masters in Music in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Agood honours degree in any subject, with an upper 2nd (2:1) classification or equivalent, usually theatre, music or theatre/music-related, but qualifications in other fields will also be reviewed and considered.
- Equivalent professional experience may also be accepted and reviewed at application and audition stages (see our APELprocess),
- All suitable applicants are invited for interview and/or audition
- All students requiring a visa to study in the UK must meet the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) department's English
- Language requirement of IELTS 6.0 with no sub-test less than 5.5
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.