Our inherently interdisciplinary programme at the University of Essex is rooted in psychosocial, sociological and psychodynamic approaches. Drawing on the history of Childhood Studies and the best contemporary research, including the excellent research and practice experience of our academics, modules will explore a variety of subjects, including:
- Families and peer relationships
- Emotions and the inner worlds of children
- The role of play and leisure
- Generation and intergenerational relationships
- Gender and sexuality
You will develop key employability skills including thinking analytically, evaluation, essay-writing, research methods in psychoanalysis and an understanding of psychoanalytic thinking, applicable to clinical and academic work. Our MA Childhood Studies will equip you for a career in sectors including education, health, international fields such as the charitable sector and NGOs, social care including children’s homes, therapeutic communities and supporting children and their families.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Debates in Childhood and Childhood Studies
- Research with Children and Young People
- Children’s Emotional Worlds
- Geographies of Childhood and Youth
- Queering Childhood
- Relational Childhoods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to .
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education View 129 other Masters in Early Childhood Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2:2 degree or equivalent.
- With your online application you must submit a personal statement; this should detail the reasons for wanting to study the course, including any relevant experience (work or voluntary) that may support your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.