Mathematical Finance is a multidisciplinary field that involves the application of economic theory, mathematics, statistics and computer programming skills, to analyse and manage financial opportunities.
The MSc in Mathematical Finance from the University of Birmingham develops your understanding of contemporary mathematical models and their application in the financial sector, whilst providing the flexibility to tailor your degree with optional modules in areas that interest you.
You will take core modules in mathematical finance and stochastic processes, and then choose from topics offered by the School of Mathematics, the Department of Economics, and the School of Computer Science. This programme will support you to achieve the highest levels in mathematical finance, developing the most advanced computational and programming techniques. With the skills and knowledge developed on this course you will be well-placed to advance quickly in a field where there is a growing global shortage of highly qualified people.
Why study Mathematical Finance MSc at Birmingham?
- Develop your ability to apply mathematical and scientific knowledge to financial analysis, identifying, critically analysing and evaluating scenarios within the sector
- Learn to use software packages to analyse financial data and to implement numerical models
- Tailor your degree by choosing from optional modules in a range of areas
- Train specifically in independent study and research, which is an essential skill for a quantitative analyst
- Learn at an internationally-recognised university ranked in the top 100 in the 2021 QS World University Rankings
- Benefit from our strong links with industry and Careers Network support, meaning that rigorous academic study is combined with a real practical focus, leading to excellent job opportunities
- Join a university that is number 2 in the United Kingdom for being most frequently targeted by the country’s top employers (High Fliers Research 2020).
EmployabilityPostgraduate study at the University of Birmingham is a chance to learn from world leaders in their fields. This guarantees you a first-class learning experience, leading to a qualification that is respected the world over and making you an attractive prospect in a very competitive job market.Graduates from MSc Mathematical Finance are well prepared to compete for quantitatively demanding positions in financial institutions, with state-of-art mathematical methods, computational skills and programming expertise. The School’s graduates work in a wide variety of fields in governmental and multi-national organisations.The degree also provides an ideal basis for postgraduate research, either for purely academic ends or to further qualify graduates for work in financial institutions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Mathematical Finance
- LM Mathematical Finance Dissertation
- LM Stochastic Processes
- Mathematical Finance
- Theory of Finance
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMathematics Finance Financial Mathematics View 216 other Masters in Mathematics in United Kingdom
- 2:1 Honours degree in Mathematics or a programme with advanced mathematical components.
- Students from JBJI who obtain a minimum 2:1 and the IELTS English (mandatory to obtain the Degree) will have automatic acceptance onto this programme.
International21960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21960 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National12240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12240 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- UK students looking to pursue a Masters programme in the UK can apply for a non-means-tested loan from the British government via the Student Loans Company.
- A loan of up to £11,222 is available to students applying to taught and research Masters courses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.