Building an environmentally sustainable future is one of the most pressing issue that mankind is tackling nowadays.
This is achieved by intermeshing traditional disciplines (hydraulics, hydrology, sanitary engineering, structural and geotechnical engineering, spatial planning) with emerging environmental issues and problem-solving skills.
With a theoretically grounded but pragmatic approach, our graduates will be able to develop innovative and sustainable solutions, based on a deep knowledge of the fundamental environmental dynamics and on the capability to quantify and simulate the effects of anthropogenic interventions.
The Master’s degree programme in Environmental Engineering is a two-year full-time programme (120 ECTS) open to international students.
The programme admits every year a maximum number of 10 NON-EU students permanently resident abroad.
Students benefit from everyday interactions with internationally renowned professors and researchers. With a low ratio between students and teachers, and courses organized in projects and groupwork, students have the possibility to acquire both technical and practical competences and make experience with real-world challenges while attending the courses. Field activities complement the learning opportunities.
The first year foresees six common courses and one course depending on the track that is chosen for the second year, when the programme is divided into four tracks that cover different aspects of the broad spectrum of Environmental Engineering:
- Water Resources and Land Protection
- Environmental Quality and Remediation Technologies
- Environmental Sustainability and International Cooperation
- Modelling and Simulation
Tracks 3 and 4 are totally taught in English; for tracks 1 and 2, some courses are taught in Italian
Master’s graduates are able to design and manage works and services in various areas of environmental engineering, such as:
- land protection from natural and anthropogenic hazards, analysis and mitigation of hydrogeological risk, protection and requalification of water bodies;
- urban infrastructures, hydraulic structures, civil works within an environmental context;
- sustainable management of environmental resources, treatment of emissions in solids, liquids and gases, quality monitoring, pollution prevention and remediation of environmental matrices (air, water, soil);
- management of the territory and the built environment, even in the presence of conflicting uses of resources, with a view to environmental sustainability and in the context of specific socio-economic contexts.
Furthermore, graduates are able to:
- select and use mathematical and numerical models;
- acquire and analyze data for environmental monitoring;
- analyze and interpret complex environmental data;
- analyze and evaluate the environmental impact of civil and industrial works and develop strategic environmental assessment procedures for plans and programs;
- interact with experts from different disciplines and cooperate to solve complex environmental problems.
Career OpportunitiesGraduates work as designers, managers and modellers in a wide range of areas connected with environmental issues.Graduates can also continue their career with doctoral studies, in Italy and abroad, and within start-up companies.
- Elements of structural design
- Numerical methods for the environment
- Ecological planning
- Hydrological modelling
- Urban hydraulic infrastructures
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
Application Period: 12/15/2021-04/03/2022 NON-EU citizens permanently living abroadStarting in Spring 2022: EU students and NON EU students living in Italy.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 10 other Masters in Environmental Management in Italy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To enter the Master, students need to hold:
- a bachelor's degree title obtained in Italy according to Italian law “DM 270/04” class L-7 (or a degree title obtained according to law “DM 509/99” class 8), in which the average mark, weighted on credits, in the exams taken to obtain the degree must not be less than 22.00/30
- or a degree title in the broad areas of Civil and Environmental Engineering (or closely related scientific disciplines) obtained abroad and considered equivalent by the selection committee.
In case of a degree different from the ones stated above, students need to have passed exams in the academic areas which can be found on the UniTrento web site.
- English language knowledge at least level B2 (EFR).
Please check the Call for Applications for more details.
How to apply
- Access the online application form via the UniTrento web site
- Upload the required documents
- Submit your online application by the deadline
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA3400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3400 EUR per year during 24 months.
- EU: 340€-3400€ (fee range based on personal income and merit)
- Non-EU: 1000€-4500€ (fee range based on merit only, i.e. score in the application evaluation)
Living costs for Trento
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Scholarships for non-EU Citizens living abroadTop-scored candidates will be entitled to receive a UniTrento scholarship. Students that benefit from a UniTrento scholarship will also have the tuition fees waived.
Scholarships for EU Citizens and Non-EU citizens regularly living in ItalyScholarships are based on income/merit. Information on the tuition fees and ISEE index (economic index of your family financial situation) are available on the Infostudenti UniTrento web page. Please note that if you do not want to calculate the ISEE index, you will have to pay the maximum tuition amount. Once the ISEE has been calculated, eligible students can apply for the Opera Universitaria scholarship starting from June/July.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.