Students can specialise in either linguistics or literature, defining their own research projects under supervision. We offer courses in both theoretical and experimental linguistics, as well as in early modern and modern literature.
The Master's programme in English at the University of Agder gives oral and written training in the assessment and testing of different methods of analysis. In the literature courses, there will be advanced training in vocabulary, sense of nuances, and stylistic variation. In the linguistic courses, there will be advanced training in the analysis of language structure and experimental psycholinguistic approaches to the investigation of language processing.
The degree qualifies candidates for admission to Ph.D. programmes in either linguistics or literature. Candidates may find relevant work in education, culture, publishing, journalism and public relations, in the public as well as in the private sector, both nationally and internationally.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Literary Theory
- Linguistic Theory
- Language Acquisition
- The Fantastic Imagination
- Literature and the Visual Arts
- Historical and Alternate Historical Fiction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Nordic citizens and applicants with a permanent or renewable residence permit in Norway: From 1 February till 15 April.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 5 other Masters in Literature in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The general requirement is completed bachelor’s degree, cand.mag.-degree, or other degree or vocational education with a scope of minimum 3 years’ duration.
- Academic basis: completed and passed major subject in English with no less than 80 credits. The major subject must include at least 30 credits in language/linguistics and at least 30 credits in literature.
- A weighted, average grade of C or better is required, see Regulations concerning admission to programmes and courses at the University of Agder, § 24. The grade requirement is calculated from the grades included in the academic basis described in subsection 1.
- Weighted grade average is calculated from the academic basis as described in subsection 1. Ranking of applicants is done according to Regulations concerning admission to programmes and courses at the University of Agder, § 25.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- There are no tuition fees at the University of Agder.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.