This specialization centers on understanding the impact of microorganisms on water quality in both engineered systems (drinking water networks, wastewater treatment) and in natural surface and subsurface water systems. The Hydrology and Water Quality - Microbiology and Water Quality program is offered by the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev.
Research topics include microbial nutrient cycling, both in the saturated (groundwater and aquifers) and unsaturated zones associated with the deep percolation and migration of dissolved pollutants originating from fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides with emphasis on nitrogen, the impact of floods on microbial activities in streams, and the abundance and diversity of microorganisms in ephemeral desert streams.
Additional topics include the biodegradation of inorganic and organic pollutants in different water bodies, as well as the unique research subject of biological graywater treatment and its impact on the environment.
Research on the biogeochemistry of streams and the impact of microorganisms on water quality is carried out at both the field and large-lab scales (flume).
An additional research subject within this specialization is the effect of treated effluent re-use on the survival of microbial pathogens in wastewater effluent reservoirs, as well as in irrigation water.
The isotopic bio-geochemistry of pollutant biodegradation by microorganisms in water bodies is now emerging as a cutting-edge new research subject in this specialization.
- Impact of microorganisms
- Water quality
- Microbial nutrient cycling
- The impact of floods on microbial activities
- The abundance and diversity of microorganisms in ephemeral desert streams
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management Microbiology Natural Resource Management View 4 other Masters in Microbiology in Israel
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A B.Sc. degree in either science or engineering from an accredited institution.
- A TOEFL score of at least 85/120 or the equivalent score in an internationally recognized English proficiency exam is required. The English proficiency requirement is waived for applicants who received their B.Sc. degree in a program taught in English.
- Applicants are expected to contact by e-mail one or more potential supervisors with whom they would like to work on their thesis
International5118 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5118 USD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.