Designed for those hoping to progress to senior nursing roles, this online MSc Nursing course combines healthcare modules with a grounding in management and leadership.
Not only will you improve the care you offer to your patients, you will also improve your ability to manage sensitive situations in different healthcare contexts – and to improve your management skills for the benefit of your position, organisation or region.
A key part of the MSc Nursing course will include producing a professional practice portfolio which will provide proof of your autonomy and your ability to develop your skills through reflective practice.
Our MSc Nursing modules have been designed to be relevant globally, regardless of country or context, and you can choose from a range of optional modules to enhance your knowledge in certain areas of theoretical practice, such as:
- the management of disease, including pathophysiology and pharmacology
- the principles of pain management
- the theoretical knowledge required to support the management of diabetes care both in primary and secondary healthcare settings
- the role of nurses in meeting the needs of vulnerable individuals, groups and communities
- the scientific concepts underpinning infection control and prevention
- contemporary models and strategies to guide the design of effective health promotion activities
- practical leadership skills underpinned by a critical appreciation of leadership theory
Towards the end of your online MSc Nursing course you will have the opportunity to produce a piece of original research in the form of a dissertation on an issue within nursing which you find interesting. You will investigate, analyse and report on your results effectively and ethically.
Studying MSc Nursing online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our MSc Nursing is delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser during your MSc Nursing
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise during your MSc Nursing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The MSc Nursing programme:Level 7 modules:
- Professional Practice Portfolio (20 credits)
- Evidence-based Decision Making in Practice (20 credits)
- Healthcare Management: Principles and Practices (20 credits)
- Three optional modules:
- Applied Pathophysiology and Pharmacology in the Management of Disease (20 credits)
- Health Promotion (20 credits)
- Healthcare Leadership in Practice (20 credits)
- Diabetes: Prevention, Care and Management (20 credits)
- Principles and Practices of Pain Management (20 credits)
- Meeting the Needs of Vulnerable Patients (20 credits)
- Infection Prevention and Quality Improvement (20 credits)
- Introduction to Research Methods (10 credits)*
- One optional research speciality module:
- Systematic Reviews (10 credits)
- Quantitative Approach to Research (10 credits)
- Qualitative Approach to Research (10 credits)
- Dissertation (Nursing) (40 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be completed in order to achieve the MSc Nursing award.
Our MSc Nursing will help you begin your progression from wholly clinical roles to middle and senior management positions within nursing. Potential job titles may include: Ward Manager, Charge Nurse, Nurse Manager, Senior Staff Nurse or Nursing Officer.
Subject specialists, industry authorities and experienced academics: the tutors who teach modules on our MSc Nursing are experts in the field of healthcare.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPublic Health Nursing Health Sciences View 316 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Academic entry routeIn order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our MSc nursing programme students must meet the following criteria as a minimum:
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent in a health or social care related subject from an approved institution
- working in clinical practice as a registered nurse or licensed to practice as a nurse with a nursing regulator or appropriate licensing board
- at least three years’ post-qualification work experience as a registered nurse or licensed to practice as a nurse with a nursing regulator or appropriate licensing board, supported by appropriate references
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11222 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11222 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Designated for postgraduate student loans in England.
- Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
- Full payment discount of 10% of the tuition fee if you pay upfront.
- Partial scholarship available for international students residing in specific regions outside of the UK.
- Alumni discount of 10% of the tuition fee available if you are a previous graduate with the University of Essex or University of Essex Online.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.