Our online MSc Cyber Security course, delivered 100% online and part-time, will introduce you to the key concepts, tools, guidelines and approaches used to protect an organisation’s online environment.
The online MSc Cyber Security course goes beyond technical competencies to consider managerial and psychological concerns, while simultaneously developing essential skills such as teamwork, risk assessment and decision making.
This MSc Cyber Security course starts with an overview of the fundamental aspects of cyber security, highlighting the trends and developments in this field. In later modules, you will explore topics such as:
- fundamentals of network security and information security governance principles
- an inter-disciplinary perspective involving psychology that considers the human factor in cyber security challenges
- traditional and contemporary Software Development Life Cycle models and how they are affected by risk management considerations
Towards the end of your MSc Cyber Security studies, you will consider a topic of interest within the Cyber Security Body of Knowledge and produce an individual project on that topic.
Studying MSc Cyber Security online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our MSc Cyber Security is delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser during your MSc Cyber Security
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
In order to meet the technical requirements for this course, MSc Cyber Security students will need access to a computer with at least 8GB RAM.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise during your MSc Cyber Security.
Following a successful advisory visit, BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, will undertake a full accreditation visit in the 2021/22 academic year, to consider programmes for accreditation towards Chartered IT Professional.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The online MSc Cyber Security degree is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.Level 7 modules:
- Launching into Cyber Security (20 credits)*
- Network and Information Security Management (20 credits)
- Information Risk Management (10 credits)
- Secure Software Development (10 credits)
- The Human Factor (10 credits)
- Secure Systems Architecture (10 credits)
- Principles of Digital Forensics and Cyber Law (20 credits)
- Research Methods and Professional Practice (20 credits)*
- MSc Cyber Security Project (60 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the MSc Cyber Security award.
There is currently a global shortage of computer science professionals and an increasing need for robust cyber security measures, particularly in smaller companies who are most vulnerable to attack. This online MSc Cyber Security course will give you a breadth of knowledge and skills to enable you move into this highly sought-after field.
Subject specialists, industry authorities and experienced academics: the tutors who teach modules on our MSc Cyber Security are experts in the field of computing.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences IT Security Cyber Security View 94 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic entry route
- Work experience entry route
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11222 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEA5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11222 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
- Designated for postgraduate student loans in England.
- Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
- Full payment discount of 10% of the tuition fee if you pay upfront.
- Partial scholarship available for international students residing in specific regions outside of the UK.
- Alumni discount of 10% of the tuition fee available if you are a previous graduate with the University of Essex or University of Essex Online.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.