You will learn and be assessed wholly online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) – no need to travel to assessment centres! This means you can easily and flexibly fit your professional development ambitions around your personal life, and you won’t need to take a career break. Though you will study exclusively online, on successful completion of your PG Cert Computer Science, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex’s Colchester campus.
Why study this subject?
On this course you will explore the broad field of computer science and gain technical knowhow as well as a pragmatic approach to problem solving. Developing these practical skills and core knowledge is essential to prepare you for a career in computer science. You will also be able to continue your studies and advance onto our full Masters programme.
Methods of assessment
All assessments are delivered through the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). There is no requirement to go to external test centres. Instead you will submit written assignments through the VLE; and for the few courses where exams are required, University of Essex Online uses a virtual system which allows you to take academically rigorous exams from the comfort of your own home.
You are always aware of your current provisional grade which allows you to continually evaluate the success of your current study methods and identify areas to improve. University of Essex Online believes that this information helps you to make the most of your course.
University of Essex Online achieves this by:
- assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for end of year exams
- showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the VLE
- rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser
Essex also has a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – they use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
There is a huge level of demand for computer science professionals and this course is designed to enable you to make a career change to this technical field.
After completing your studies, you will be prepared to succeed in roles such as: Software Developer, Software Engineer, Web Developer, Requirements Analyst, Network Analyst, Information System Administrator and Project Manager.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureTeaching methods and style
- Essex Online is a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the art Virtual Learning Environment to deliver teaching, resources and assessments. The system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and listen to and view live lectures and seminars.
- You are supported throughout your course by a dedicated Student Adviser and have opportunities to regularly interact with fellow students and your tutor. To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, University of Essex Online caps the class sizes at 20 students.
- For the PG Dip Computer Science, there’s no need to download different software packages – all programming languages are included within the tuition fee and all work is carried out on an online development environment.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 16 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Human Computer Interaction Web Technologies & Cloud Computing View 6 other Masters in Human Computer Interaction in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
University of Essex Online offers two flexible entry routes onto the PG Dip Computer Science, which consider your academic and work-based experience:
Academic entry route
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirement, you must have either of the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree; or
- a relevant professional qualification
Work experience entry route
To apply for the work experience entry route, you must meet the following criteria:
- at least three years’ relevant work experience
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7482 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 16 months.
EU/EEA5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7482 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 16 months.
The tuition fee includes all teaching materials and required reading, and there aren’t any hidden charges for assessments or resits.
A range of scholarships are available subject to applicants meeting certain criteria.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.