The MA in English (English Language) from University of Malta offers a postgraduate pathway for work in English-language use across a variety of contexts and genres and offers students the possibility of focused work in areas relating to grammar, bilingualism, pragmatics, stylistics, corpus linguistics, language change, language acquisition, literary linguistics and cognitive poetics.
This makes for an exciting blend of units which is also designed to address demands in the contemporary workplace for enhanced English-language use.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- identify the key interdisciplinary elements of the different foci (grammar, bilingualism, stylistics, cognitive poetics, language change, corpora and their applications, usage, etc) offered by the programme,
- evaluate the importance of learner motivation in language learning,
- identify key issues related to language planning and language policy in bilingual countries,
- analyse bilingual education programmes such as immersion education, heritage language maintenance and dual language programmes,
- conduct large-scale scientifically-representative language surveys,
- develop a keen sense of self-evaluation in their knowledge and use of the English language.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- T.S. Eliot and Modernism
- Directed Studies
- Hamlets: Shakespeare, Modernity and the Present
- English in Context
- Variation in English
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 4 other Masters in Language Studies in Malta
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
The Course shall be open to applicants in possession of one of the following qualifications:
- the degree of Bachelor of Arts (Honours) with Second Class or better in the same or in a closely related area of study as the area of study applied for,
- provided that the Board may consider applicants in possession of the Degree with Third Class Honours only if it is satisfied that such applicants are in possession of other qualifications, including relevant experience, obtained following the first cycle degree or
- the degree of Bachelor of Arts in the same or in a closely related area of study as that applied for, with an average mark of not less than 55% in that area or
- a degree from this or from another university which the Board considers as comparable to any of the degrees indicated in paragraphs (a) and (b) above.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10800 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
- Annual Enrolment Fee: Eur 400
- Total Tuition Fees: Eur 10,800
- Yr 1: Eur 10,800 - Yr 2: NIL
Living costs for Msida
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.