Students will become the leading voices in the fields of digital anthropology for science, TV broadcasts, museums, cultural institutions, film festivals, galleries, online media platforms and governmental and non-governmental organizations involved in the production of audio-visual media for the representation of indigenous, national and transnational culture.
The Visual and Media Anthropology M.A. at the HMKW University for Media, Communication and Business is conducted online by a diverse team with over a decade of online teaching experience. Distance Learning is offered via LMS Canvas through live-streams of classes, presentations and discussions. Additionally, two optional in-house workshops are offered. Students must assume additional (travel, room) costs arising from in-house workshops (not mandatory) and fieldwork periods. The program was one of the winners of the Best Practice in Online Teaching by CEDIS Center for Digital Systems Freie Universität Berlin.
- Digital media
- Big Data and Artificial Intelligence
- film broadcast & online video industry
- museum and art industries
- governmental and non-governmental organizations
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Visual Anthropology
- Media Anthropology
- Basics and Varieties of Ethnographic Film Production
- Applied Visual & Media Anthropology
- Film- or Media Project
- Supervision Courses
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Media Studies & Mass Media Artificial Intelligence View 35 other Masters in Artificial Intelligence in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A very good degree (university or university of applied sciences)
- A minimum of one year of work experience (internship, jobs, projects) subsequent to the completion of the undergraduate or first degree. This work experience should be related to your first degree or to some sort of media practice.
- Proficiency in English (fluent in both written and spoken) is a must
- Participants should have basic technical skills in film, video or photography
- Participants must have adequate electronic equipment in order to deal with various multimedia materials; high-speed Internet access, a fast computer and a personal email account are compulsory. Owning a basic digital camera is recommended.
- Plus internal assessment process
International8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16080 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEA8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16080 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- € 4.020 per semester
- € 16.080 in total for the two year's program
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.