This Visual and Media Anthropology program at the HMKW University for Media, Communication and Business is aimed at students who have an undergraduate degree in any subject and who already have gained work experience relevant to their field of study.
The new media industry (serious education games, social media applications and mixed-reality-environments), Big Data analysis, immersive or virtual reality-technology industry, serious game design, film broadcast & online video industry with a focus on news coverage about (online) cultures, worldwide anthropological questions of artificial intelligence, social analysis of robotic technology, museum and art industries (curators, artists), jobs in governmental and non-governmental organizations in the sector of sustainable development and capacity building in underdeveloped and emerging countries with a focus on media usage.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- First Semester: Basic Modules (30 CP): Visual Anthropology, Media Anthropology
- Second Semester: Profile Modules (30 CP): Basics and Varieties of Ethnographic Film Production, Communication/Mediascapes, Applied Visual & Media Anthropology
- Third Semester: Project Modules (30 CP): Internship, Film- or Media Project
- Fourth Semester: Supervision Courses (30 CP)
The program aims to develop and shape leading voices in the cultural industries, including museums and galleries, film festivals, new and social media, and other art und culture production institutions.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesAnthropology Media Studies & Mass Media Artificial Intelligence View 16 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A very good degree (university or university of applied sciences)
- A minimum of one year of work experience (internship, jobs, projects) subsequent to the completion of the undergraduate or first degree. This work experience should be related to your first degree or to some sort of media practice.
- Proficiency in English (fluent in both written and spoken) is a must
- Participants should have basic technical skills in film, video or photography
- Participants must have adequate electronic equipment in order to deal with various multimedia materials; high-speed Internet access, a fast computer and a personal email account are compulsory. Owning a basic digital camera is recommended.
- plus internal assessment process
International8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16080 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
National8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16080 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
670,- € monthly (16.080,- € in total for the two year's program)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.