With the Master of Science in Biochemistry program from University of Cologne students will acquire a strong background in basic biochemical science and in modern Life Science research practice, which will prepare them well for many careers both in academia and applied environments.
The study program contains eight modules. They are divided into: Acvanced Modules, Specialization Modules, and the Master Thesis & Defense Module.
In the first year of the program students choose up to three Subject Modules of their preference, thereof two have to be in Biochemistry and one can be in general.
The second year of the program is dedicated to research. It includes another Laboratory Module and the Project Proposal Module, where questions, concepts and methods applied on the Master project are delineated.
The program is completed by a six-months' research project that will be written up in a Master's thesis and presented in a colloquium.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cryo EM
- Mitochondria and Neurodegeneration
- Posttranslational Regulation
- Molecular Genetics
- Advanced Light Microscopy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 41 other Masters in Chemistry in Germany
- Bachelor's certificate (or equivalent) in Biochemistry or a similar biochemical study program, in natural sciences where at least 180 credit points have been achieved and the final grade is at least "good" (i.e. 2,5) or better.
- At least 36 credit points (ECTS) of 180 have to be achieved in basic or advanced biochemical courses, laboratory trainings or the bachelor thesis. Subject areas which can be credited are modules in biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics, protein engineering, environmental biochemistry, bioenergetics, or metabolism.
- Submission of a complete set of application documents and forms which are listed and provided by the application portals.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
The UoC does not charge any tuition fees. However a semester fee has to be paid each semester/6 months and amounts to 279,65 €.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.