Special emphasis is given to flexibly adapting to the changing conditions of society and the manifold interactions among human beings and forest formation development, with a multi-disciplinary approach.
The two-year course in Tropical Forestry at TU Dresden altogether comprises 120 ECTS points structured as three semesters of classroom studies and one semester of elaboration and defence of the master's thesis. Optional compulsory modules enable the students to identify and design a particular individual profile. The research plan is prepared to effectively collect and analyse primary data from the late third up to the early fourth semester.
The contents of the course of studies are deliberately structured by starting with specific subjects in the first two semesters, later, in the third semester, the planning and management modules are integrating the specific subject knowledge in a synergetic and holistic way.
The fields of work comprise:
- Management of enterprises of forestry and forest products, as well as bilateral and multi-lateral forest management projects,
- Advise for governments about the development of forest and land use,
- Leading activities in international organizations, non-governmental organizations and authorities,
- Forestry extension and environmental education,
- Scientific activities in national and international forestry research and educational institutions,
- Expert work as forestry engineering consultancies.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Specific contents are climate and ecology, including functions and performances of ecosystems; forest-related development policy and forest culture by the aid of models and instruments of rural development;
- Assessment, growth and evaluation of forest resources; forest utilization based on specific parameters, harvest, transport, storage, processing and marketing of timber and none-timber forest products, economic aspects and management of forest resources, forms and models of natural resource management organizations, management systems and cooperation models and their analysis;
- Integrated management of vegetation, soil and water in catchment areas; silviculture and conservation of biodiversity in natural forests; silviculture and forest protection in plantation forests as well as agroforestry; urban and peri-urban tree - and forest management in various contexts; computer based modelling; as well as communication and conflict management.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesForestry View 6 other Masters in Forestry in Germany
- a university degree in the field of forestry or a related field (e.g. agriculture, horticulture, landscape and regional planning, geography, water management, biology)
- knowledge of English TOEFL 550 (written) / 213 (PC) or IELTS 6.0).
International1000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 500 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National1000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 500 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.