The Language Science and Technology programme of Saarland University is one of the world's leading centres for computational linguistics and language technology. Students can put the focus on various fields of language processing such as computational linguistics, psycholinguistics, phonetics and speech science or speech technology.
Students receive close personal supervision in small learning groups and the teaching staff introduce students to their respective fields of research early on in the programme. Graduates from the programme are therefore well prepared for a research or development role in the computational linguistics sector.
A notable feature of the M.Sc. programme in Saarbrücken is the close proximity of university institutes to a number of highly respected external research institutions that are located on campus. The department collaborates closely with the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI) as well as with the Max Planck Institute for Informatics (MPII) and the Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS).
Parts of the programme can be studied on a part-time basis, however, students must study full-time in the semester in which their final Master's thesis is written. The department maintains excellent ties to the international language science community and can help to arrange study-abroad periods in Europe or worldwide. Students on the Master's programme come from around the world. The language of instruction and examination is English.
- Computational Linguistics
- Machine Translation
- Computational Psycholinguistics
- Speech Science and Speech Technology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Artificial Intelligence Linguistics View 43 other Masters in Linguistics in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification from a German or foreign university in computational linguistics or a related field, or proof of equivalent academic achievement
- Proof of advanced proficiency in English
- Proof of sufficient merit in their previous academic track record
- Evidence supporting their particular interest in the subject either by submitting a personal statement written by the applicant or letters of recommendation written by referees who know the applicant academically
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Students have to pay the administration fee and the contributions of the student body of 124 EUR before enrollment or confirmation
Living costs for Saarbrücken
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.