The Development Practice program offered by the University of Waterloo prepares students to better identify and address the challenges of extreme poverty and sustainable development through excellent course offerings. With a focus on sustainable development, the MDP offers courses from four intersecting areas: health, natural, social, and management sciences.
Field placements are a critical component of the MDP program and allows students to gain real-world practical experience in the development sector before graduating.
Waterloo has an ever-growing network of partners available at grassroots organizations to international institutions. Waterloo also works in partnership with 36 universities and organizations around the world through the Global Association of MDP programs. This association equips students with networking opportunities, job postings, career panels, and research and publication opportunities.
Our graduates work as:
- Education Co-ordinator, Green Roofs for Healthy Cities
- Co-ordinator, The Hunger Project Canada
- Executive Director, Thrive Uganda
- Director, United Nations Association in Canada
- Agriculture Consultant, Associations des Unions Maraichere des Niayes
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Sustainable Development Practice (Global Classroom from Columbia University)
- International Development: Theory and Practice
- Sustainable Cities
- Energy and Sustainability
- Sustainability Concepts, Applications and Key Debates
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development View 26 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Canada
- A four-year Honours Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from a recognized university in a humanities, social science, health, engineering, environmental science, or business discipline, and have a minimum of 75% overall standing in the last two years of study.
- Two references: one academic and one professional, or two academic or two professional. One must be from a referee who can attest to the applicant's leadership competencies
- Supplementary Information Form (SIF)
- Resume, letter, writing sample
- Permanent Resident Card
International23824 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11912 CAD per semester and a duration of 18 months.
National4832 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2416 CAD per semester and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.