University of Waterloo's Anthropology research and teaching expertise covers three major sub-fields of the discipline: sociocultural anthropology, archaeological anthropology, and biological (physical) anthropology.
- All Canadian students who meet our eligibility requirements receive funding, usually in the form of a teaching assistantship combined with scholarship monies.
- Also, the Anthropology department has limited additional funding available to defray the costs of student research.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Technologies of Being Human
- Social & Cultural Anthropology
- Biological Anthropology
- Issues in Contemporary Indigenous Communities in Canada
- Paleopathology of Health and Disease
- Archaeology of Complex Cultures
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology History Ancient History View 37 other Masters in Ancient History in Canada
- An Honours Bachelor's degree with at least a 75% overall standing with 78% in the major. The expectation is that the undergraduate degree will be in Anthropology, but students with at least 5 courses in Anthropology may be admitted as long as these were part of a major in another social science or humanities program. The program will also accept students with a background in the natural sciences, as long as the 5 Anthropology courses they have taken include content in both ethnography and anthropological theory.
- Students must demonstrate to the Advisory Committee competence in theory and methods adequate for study at the graduate level, e.g., through completing undergraduate courses which include these topics.
- Two academic references
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable. TOEFL 100 (writing 26, speaking 26), IELTS 7.5 (writing 7.0, speaking 7.0)
International15392 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7696 AUD per semester during 18 months.
National4508 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2254 AUD per semester during 18 months.
Living costs for Waterloo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.