The Instruction of English as a Foreign Language programme of Eötvös Loránd University includes three main components:
- A series of taught modules (on-campus seminars and lectures) covering relevant subject areas in both semesters;
- A period of supervised hands-on teaching practice (50 hours during the second semester) during which participants work with real learners of English as a foreign language;
- A research-based dissertation or other project-based work, to be submitted any time within two years after the participant has earned all the credits on the taught courses.
The program enables participants to
- explore relevant subjects in depth, reaching a high level of specialist knowledge and skill;
- develop and expand their understanding of the theoretical underpinnings of current principles and practices of English language teaching, focusing particularly on theories of language learning and teaching, the English language as a system, and general pedagogy;
- use appropriate language for setting up and managing classroom activities, to interact with students smoothly in the classroom, to use complex and rich language to engage in professional discussions and to display proficient presentation skills at professional events;
- develop their learners’ language skills effectively, use authentic materials and ICT tools, respond to individual learner differences, and adopt methods of differentiation accordingly, use traditional and alternative ways of assessment, select and apply effective error correction techniques, give constructive feedback, adopt principles of reflective teaching and, based on their own reflections, to start planning their own professional development;
- benefit from access to seminars across the wider university in optional courses;
- The program is regarded as a ‘second-cycle’ qualification under the Bologna Declaration and consists of 60 ECTS credits, 55 of which are allocated to the taught courses and the teaching practice, and 5 are allocated to the dissertation.
This program is recommended to applicants who
- have already completed their BA studies and wish to obtain professional knowledge and skills through an MA degree in a one-year full-time postgraduate program;
- wish to gain practical knowledge and skills they can immediately apply to their teaching practice;
- wish to study at a prestigious Hungarian University on-campus in the centre of Budapest.
Strength of program
The lecturers involved in the program are internationally recognised experts with international teaching experience who regularly give talks, presentations and teacher training courses at universities and conferences around the world in the field of ELT.
Besides the hands-on teaching practice, the program includes a high proportion of face-to face teaching, with a combination of tutor and student input, including various group activities and students’ presentations and a low number of course participants on the course to ensure quality of teaching and learning
The program collaboration with local and international ELT experts to ensure that students develop their professional skills, share best practices and can network.
Career prospects for our graduates vary depending on their ambition but entrants of our MA English Language Pedagogy courses typically come with the specific intention of entering the ELT/TESOL profession. The specialist knowledge gained enables the participant to take senior or specialist roles (e.g., in CALL, ESP, teaching young learners or testing), not only in the classroom but also in educational advice and management, programme evaluation, syllabus design and teacher education.
For those wanting to take their research interest even further, within our University we run a Language Pedagogy PhD programme, where we offer teaching and research supervision in language acquisition, language learning and language teaching; culture and communication; psycholinguistics; language disorders and sociolinguistics.
English as a Foreign Language teacher at language schools or company courses
- teacher educator
- syllabus designer
- materials writer
- ELT manager
- ELT counsellor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Methodology of English language teaching
- Descriptive linguistics from a pedagogical perspective
- Language for the teacher
- Classroom studies
- Intercultural communication
- Testing and assessment
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold a university bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent college degree) in the fields listed below. Full credit acknowledgement is only given for a bachelor’s degree in the fields of Liberal Arts and Educational Sciences.
- Online application form
- Secondary school certificate
- Bachelor-level degree
- Transcript of records
- Motivation letter
- A maximum of 500 words.
- Copy of the main pages of the passport
- Copy of application fee transfer
- Copy of the Entrance exam fee transfer
- Language certificate
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3500 EUR per semester and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3500 EUR per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.