The Media and Politics programme from University of Liverpool is a fantastic opportunity for you to engage with current debates about the constantly evolving role of media in national and international political life. The pathway uncovers the ways in which journalists and politicians attempt to set the political agenda or influence public opinion and also explores the ways in which the audiences, as public and as citizens, are involved in media as consumers and producers.
The programme is built around core modules which focus on the theories and debates surrounding:
- the relationship between the mass media, politics and society
- the role and function of the media in a democracy
- the impact of mass media on global political processes
- research methods used in media and communication research.
You will develop skills that directly enhance employability, including applying critical reviewing skills, giving presentations, plus data management, problem-solving, team-working and research design and implementation.
Student career development is a major interest for the department and we actively encourage students to integrate career planning into their academic studies. This is promoted through individual modules which have strong policy and career relevant aspects, and a close relationship with the University’s excellent Careers Service who provide bespoke sessions for students.
Through this programme graduates will enhance their career prospects in professional areas like government, media, journalism and public relations. While some positions in these fields often require the ability to conduct research or project-work and to demonstrate sustained and complex organisational skills in ways encompassed by this MA, its emphasis on oral and written communication skills as well as on IT-based presentation skills and research will be useful for many types of employment. As this is predominantly an academic degree, some former graduates of the MA have gone on to further academic study (PhD).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Media and Politics: Theories and Cases
- Research Methods in Media and Politics
- Media and Politics: Economy and Society
- Big Data and Society: Politics, and Policy
- Data Science
- Screen Cultures
- Understanding Media Change
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage all students to apply for their chosen programme as soon as possible.
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Media Studies & Mass Media Political Science View 360 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Candidates should possess a good Honours degree (2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant field, such as Politics, International Relations, Communication and Media, Sociology, Journalism.
- Applications from international students are encouraged and international qualifications will be evaluated in line with the National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) guidelines.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.