The graduate certificate program in Advertising Copywriting at Humber College teaches the specialized skills necessary to create powerful and effective copy for all forms of printed advertising, radio and television commercials, web, mobile, and social media. Over two intense semesters, you will develop a wide variety of strategic, conceptual and practical skills.
You will learn fundamental production, design and presentation skills, how to generate ideas in pictures and in words and how to focus your creativity using industry-standard techniques. You’ll also learn how to strategically engage with target audiences.
You will create portfolio samples with industry-standard software such as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. Acquired skills will be demonstrated in a comprehensive portfolio of work which will be exhibited at a portfolio show at the end of the second semester.
You will hone your already excellent editing and proofreading skills and apply them not only to your own copywriting but eventually to that of your corporate clients.
The average North American is exposed to close to 3,000 advertisements each day yet recalls only 12. To write memorable ads as a writer and conceptual thinker in the creative department of an advertising agency, you need specialized training in advertising copywriting.
Our graduates find positions at local and multinational advertising agencies, as well as direct response, pharmaceutical and digital agencies. Some of our graduates pursue in-house writing opportunities with large corporations or with municipal or provincial governments. Others, eventually go into business for themselves, enjoying the flexibility and variety of working as freelance or contract copywriters.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Art Direction Elements for Writers
- Computer Skills for Copywriters
- Portfolio Intensive Concept
- Portfolio Intensive Strategy
- Writing for the Web
- Writing for Social Media
- Professional Practice
- Field Placement
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Deadline for equal consideration in the admission process: February 1. Post-February 1 applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
DisciplinesMedia Studies & Mass Media View 44 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Canada
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor’s degree, advanced diploma or diploma
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents with international education are required to provide a WES or ICAS evaluation.
- Letter of intent: Applicants must submit a letter of intent (max. 400 words) describing your interest and knowledge of the creative aspects of advertising. Feel free to include any projects, periods or styles, influences, agencies, designers, artists or information that you feel have influenced you artistically, or have inspired you to pursue a career in this field.
- Writing portfolio: Applicants must select and submit 3-4 pieces of original written work: creative writing, poetry, short stories, screenplay excerpts, any work that captures your skill and expresses your creativity (please note: academic essays are not a good indicator of creative writing).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15568 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7784 CAD per semester during 12 months.
National7190 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3595 CAD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Toronto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.