Nearly every aspect of health care needs design expertise. Issues considered in the OCAD University’s Master of Design (MDes) in Design for Health include:
- Increases in chronic diseases
- An aging population
- Escalating costs and shrinking budgets
- The emergence of new infections
- Growing cultural diversity
- Consumer demand for more involvement in care planning and delivery
- A shift to multi-setting health-care delivery
- The spread of digital technologies
Problem Based Learning through Studio
The interdisciplinary Design for Health program has four main themes delivered primarily through studio-based learning with partnered projects:
- Health context: Develop domain knowledge in health, healthcare delivery, communications, technology and innovation.
- Research and application: Identify, design, conduct and apply qualitative, co-design, and evidence based techniques to health challenges.
- Design and innovation: Create new, ethical, and sustainable solutions with health sector stakeholders, patients, and partners.
- Proficiency and leadership within interdisciplinary collaborations: Be embedded in interdisciplinary teams which include patients, health-service providers and designers to develop design solutions and to communicate outcomes.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Health Context and Design
- Design Research
- Studio 1: Corporeal
- Systems 1: Human Factors
- Studio 2: Spatial
- Systems 2: Systems & Services
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesDesign User Experience Design Health Informatics View 17 other Masters in Health Informatics in Canada
- Application for admission into the Master’s in Design for Health will be competitive. Applicants must hold a bachelor degree in a design field, such as BA (in design studies), B.Arch., BED, BID, BDes, BSc, BEng or comparable honours degree/certification with a GPA of 75% (B+) or better during the last two years of study, or must demonstrate exceptional experience and expertise as a practitioner in a relevant discipline. All applicants must demonstrate creative and conceptual competence at a high level.
- A portfolio comprised of 10 examples of design work and a 750-word statement of interest will be required.
International44274 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22137 CAD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National14940 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7470 CAD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.