Each student’s primary discipline and chosen emphasis among art, design, or media practice and theoretical inquiry will determine whether the degree earned is an MFA, MDes or MA.
Students of Interdisciplinary Master’s in Art, Media and Design (IAMD) of OCAD University thrive in a creative environment led by an accomplished faculty. Matchless opportunities for innovative learning are offered through visiting experts, internships, independent studies and the Annual First-Year Graduate Student Exhibition.
Upon entering the IAMD program, students will already have strong disciplinary expertise in art, design, media, art history, visual culture or a related discipline, plus an appropriate undergraduate degree and practical experience. They will be interested in augmenting their skills through a program that relies on research, collaboration and practice models to reframe contemporary issues through hybrid and interdisciplinary forms. Importantly, participants will rise to the challenge of working in an experimental environment where the outcome of their interdisciplinary efforts is not crystal clear at the outset and where the path of discovery may take them to unexpected places. This will entail rigorous academic study and the creation of a significant body of studio-based work and critical/theoretical writing.
The IAMD program aims to achieve these objectives through a course of study that includes:
- Intensive graduate level directed study in the student’s studio practice
- Seminars in critical theory and research methods
- Elective courses that supplement the core curriculum by allowing each student to explore his or her individual interests in studio, theory or research
- Either a major studio project supported by a written critical analysis (leading to the MFA or MDes degree) or an academic master’s thesis accompanied by a creative project (leading to the MA degree).
- Contemporary Research Methods
- Critical Theory Seminar
- Directed Interdisciplinary Studio/Academic Study
- Elective: Issues in Critical Theory/other Elective
- MFA/MDes Individual Studio
- MA Directed Academic Study
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
January 12, 2021 is the deadline to apply to receive priority consideration for funding.
Total Course Credits: 8.0 credits
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Media Studies & Mass Media View 81 other Masters in Visual Arts in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application for admission into the Interdisciplinary Master’s in Art, Media & Design at OCAD U is a highly competitive process. Applicants must hold a BA, BFA, BDes, or comparable honours degree/certification with an average of 80 per cent (A-) or better during the last two years of study, or must demonstrate exceptional experience/expertise as a practicing artist, designer or scholar.
- All applicants must demonstrate creative and conceptual competence at a high level, as well as the clear potential for acquiring a sufficient level of expertise in a secondary discipline to create an integrated interdisciplinary thesis project at the Master’s level
- Research Proposal:
- Artist/Designer Statement
International10845 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10845 CAD per year during 24 months.
National3348 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3348 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Toronto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.