To reach zero carbon in the design and building industry, the materials and methods used must be adapted. CAT’s unique on-site study experience combines hands-on practical learning with in-depth academic study, so will allow you to learn about and experience sustainable building methods and materials. Through this Green Building program from Centre for Alternative Technology, you will also acquire a rigorous understanding of the social, practical, political, economic and environmental aspects of green building and construction.
Key areas of study
Throughout the course you will explore topics relating to building design, planning and retrofitting through understanding the theory behind the selection and use of materials, energy flows in buildings, site selection and preparation, waste management, project management and the building project life cycle.
Some of the topics you’ll study will include:
- Sustainability thinking and adaptation transformation planning
- Building design, planning and retrofitting
- Selection and evaluation of materials and sources
- Efficient use of materials and energy
- Attitudinal and behavioural issues of energy and materials use and control
- Post-occupancy evaluation of buildings performance
- Water and waste management
- Policy and planning issues
This course is created and delivered by CAT and validated by the University of East London. The course is due to be reviewed in early 2022 so this description of the course is as its currently delivered. Some aspects may change before the start of the 2022 academic year.
- Sustainability and Adaptation
- Sustainability and Adaptation Concepts in Practice
- Sustainable Materials in the Built Environment
- Applied Research Design
- MSc Dissertation
- Ecosystems and Ecosystems Services
- Politics and Economics of the Environment
- Energy Flows in Buildings
- 18 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Sustainable Development View 278 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We ask for a Bachelor’s degree or knowledge and skills equivalent to degree standard.
IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent) is required for applicants whose first language is not English.
International8720 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8720 GBP per year during 18 months.
National7310 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7310 GBP per year during 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.