At the Sinology MA course from University of Hamburg the focus will be on theoretical approaches to cultural studies and the history of concepts and ideas. As a student, you acquire the ability to evaluate transdisciplinary theoretical concepts from a sinological perspective and to make them usable for concrete research questions. The systematic orientation to questions - not to agreed answers - finally leads to the Master's thesis, in which you scientifically work on a topic of your choice.
- After successfully completing the master's program you will have a wide range of subject-specific analysis methods and theoretical concepts and will be able to handle them with confidence.
- Graduates of the master's program Sinology have in-depth scientific knowledge of Chinese culture and language and can work in different fields of activity - especially where China-specific knowledge is required. In addition to a scientific career (research, doctorate), there are activities in international organizations, the economy, in art and cultural management, publishing and journalism or in management consultancy.
The offer consists of the following two profiles, one of which must be chosen at the beginning of the course:
- Culture and society
- Conceptual and Intellectual History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 43 other Masters in Languages in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A degree in the bachelor's program "East Asia / Sinology" of the University of Hamburg or in a comparable sinological study program of a German or recognized foreign university
- Proof of language skills in Chinese
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- The semester fee is € 328.00
Living costs for Hamburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.