The pioneering discoveries and developments in biology over the past decades have changed our perception of the world. The dynamic progress of biological research is unbroken. This is why Biology is one of the most exciting university degree programs you can study.
The institutes of our division of Biology, together with the medical-biological institutes of the Faculty of Medicine, offer an extremely wide range of biological specializations. Further, study structures in specialized studies of biology (as of the 5th semester) between the University and ETHZ are fully compatible. This renders Zurich one of the world's top locations for studying biology.
The key element of the Biology program from University of Zurich is the Master's thesis - a piece of research work at a high academic level – which must be submitted within 12 months. In addition, block courses, special lectures, colloquia and seminars are agreed with the students in individual "learning agreements".
Doctorate in one of the fields of biosciences; teaching and research at universities and other institutes of higher education; work in the chemical, pharmaceutical, medical, agrobiology and food technology industries; teaching at secondary level and in vocational, agricultural and engineering schools; management posts in industry, public administration and politics; planning for nature conservation and environmental protection, private and public; work in zoos, museums, research institutes, laboratories and clinics; scientific journalism.
The degree courses of biology at the University of Zurich qualify graduates to find work in not only specific biological or educational professions.
- Special lectures
- Block courses
- Master's thesis
- Optional project work
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics Genetics View 5 other Masters in Genetics in Switzerland
- A Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biomedicine or Biochemistry from the Faculty of Science of the University of Zurich allows for admission to the a Master’s degree course in Biology.
- Corresponding degrees of Swiss and foreign universities can be recognized by the Faculty. The Faculty assesses all other qualifications, in particular those from universities of applied sciences, according to its own criteria, whereby the principle of equal treatment applies to assessing the equivalence of Bachelor's degrees.
- The Faculty can require the fulfillment of conditions or additional requirements in form of evidence of academic achievement.
International1292 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 646 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1292 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 646 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- Tuition fee is 720 CHF per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.