A key element of the PME is practice-oriented inquiry where students interrogate experiences and forge new understandings, integrating educational theory and practice through structured reflection and research applications.
The Professional Master of Education (Primary Teaching) from Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick is designed to equip student teachers with the cognitions and competencies necessary to develop creative and flexible approaches to teaching in different contexts and settings embracing pupils with diverse and often complex needs.
Thematic in nature, the programme focuses iteratively on students’ role as learner, teacher, researcher and leader. In addition to the established broad range of curriculum and foundation studies areas studied traditionally within ITE programmes at MIC, this programme contains a strong spine of three research methods modules which culminate in the Reporting Educational Research module. The research modules provide students with a critical introduction to the principal methods in educational research; identify educational research issues and questions, and consider appropriate methods of investigating them.
This course provides students with the opportunity to spend two Tréimhse Foghlama sa Ghaeltacht across their two years.
The students have the opportunity to undertake a number of school placement experiences across a range of classes over the course of the two years and assessment and mentoring supports the student during this process. Assessment of school placement and micro-teaching is also a core component of this programme.
On successful completion of the course, graduates are qualified to teach all classes in the primary school
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Semester 1 provides a strong foundation in many curricular areas, foundation disciplines and research methods as well as introducing students to School Placement.
- Semester 2 builds on and extends the knowledge, skills and understanding gained in Semester 1. Semester 2 culminates in a prolonged school placement offering students an opportunity to apply learning in practice.
- Semester 3 builds on the knowledge, skills and attitudes gained during Year 1 through curricular areas, foundation disciplines and research methods. Inclusive and Special Education is a discrete focus of this Semester through both a taught module and a specific school placement.
- Semester 4 is primarily devoted to prolonged school placement and the application of knowledge, skills and attitudes acquired through Semesters 1, 2 and 3.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Please pay the application fee of €45 (non-refundable) online.
- Complete the Application Form.
- Please include proof of completion of TEG Exam with your application, as applications will not be processed without this.
- Please remember to carefully read the Department of Education and Skills Entry Requirements here, paying particular attention to the Irish, English and Maths requirement, before making an application for the PME.
- Please include certified copies of all results, including Leaving Cert and degree with your applications.
- The minimum level 8 degree requirement is a 2.2 award.
International11128 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11128 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA5564 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5564 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.