The basic goal of this Mathematics from University of Ostrava is to provide you with the mathematical knowledge and deepen it. Also, our objective also is to develop your skills of independent logical thinking, abstracting and mathematising real issues, solving the issues using mathematical methods and computer technology, and finally interpreting the results correctly.
Having finished your studies, you will be ready to work independently as well as in a team and you will be capable of extending and completing your knowledge and skills.
Why study mathematics at the University of Ostrava?
The University of Ostrava is one of few Czech universities that offer the study of professional mathematics. Our Department of Mathematics cooperates with the Department of Informatics and Computers. Therefore, the study is unique as you can obtain an education in the field of both mathematics and partially informatics as well. At our department, you will be surrounded by a friendly, working and open atmosphere. During your studies, you will have the possibility to become a member of a research group. The department carries out science and research activities in the sphere of number theory, algebra, geometry, and mathematical physics. It also participates in the preparation of various scientific conferences (http://ntc.osu.cz/) and international competitions (http://vjimc.osu.cz/). If you participate, you will get a chance to gain further valuable experience. At the department, you will have access to a modern university library with more than 250,000 books.
The skills you will acquire comprise independent logical thinking, abstracting and mathematising real issues, solving the issues using mathematical methods as well as computer technology and interpreting the results correctly.
Moreover, the skills will comprise working autonomously and/or in a team, extending and developing obtained knowledge and skills, and presenting them, and communicating in English. Such skills will further predetermine you - if you are a graduate of the follow-up Master´s degree in Mathematics - to work as an independent professional specialist (or a team/working group leader) on analysis, modelling and problem solving using mathematical methods.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
You can choose from two specializations – Mathematics and Fuzzy Mathematics:
- Within the Mathematics specialisation, you will further extend and deepen your knowledge of modern mathematical disciplines and links between them, as well as applications that will move you forward in understanding thein the real world.
- Within the Fuzzy Mathematics specialisation, you will acquire deeper knowledge, and a current overview of the development of common mathematical areas. Special attention will be paid to mathematical structures, models and methods that will enable you to work with various types of uncertainties.
Within both specialisations, you will further shape your profile in different professional seminars in which you will deepen your knowledge in selected mathematical and application areas or obtain elementary training for scientific work.
Graduates can most frequently achieve positions like a data processing specialist, senior analyst in various areas or a member of research teams working on data processing and evaluation.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Financial Mathematics View 6 other Masters in Financial Mathematics in Czech Republic
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission is conditioned by a bachelor´s degree in a relevant subject. Whether the subject is relevant shall be decided by the admission committee.
- Along with the application form, the applicants shall submit a scan of a certified transcript of undergraduate studies from the first to at least the penultimate semester.
- It is recommended to have the English language level on at least B1/B2 (IELTS 5.5 and higher, ToEFL 42 and higher). No certificate is needed.
- If the number of applicants exceeds the department capacity, the admission committee proposes the students for study based on the grade point average in mathematical and related courses from the first to the penultimate semesters of the bachelor´s degree.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
National2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
- The tuition fee equals 62 500 CZK.
Living costs for Ostrava
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Once you become our student you can apply for accommodation scholarship, academic scholarship and others.
Also, even though the Czech Republic has a way lower costs of living than other cities in the Czech Republic (and other countries in general), you can ask for student discounts at specific places/shops/museums/cinemas/theatres and more.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.