Why this programme
- Literary analysis will be informed by Glasgow’s tradition of interdisciplinary approaches to American culture, drawing on film, music, philosophy, and art to help frame the development of American modern literature.
- At the English Literature - American Modern Literature programme of the University of Glasgow you will be able to work with a team of internationally-renowned North Americanists to develop your research skills and pursue your own research interests in relation to American modern literature.
- The university offers superb archival resources in the Special Collections of our library, the Hunterian Art Gallery and Museum as well as the nearby Kelvingrove Museum.
The critical and analytical skills that you will acquire include:
- the ability to find, select and manage large quantities of information
- confident and persuasive oral and written communication
- problem solving through creative and critical thinking.
These make this programme an ideal step towards an academic or other career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Training Course
- Modern American Literature
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature American Studies View 26 other Masters in American Studies in United Kingdom
- 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.
- A sample of written work, about 3,000 words in length. This can be a previous piece of work from an undergraduate degree. The work should be written in English. The content does not have to cover a topic related to this specific programme, but the sample should show the potential to engage successfully with postgraduate-level literary studies through demonstrating analytical ability and knowledge of appropriate scholarly methods and conventions.
- A short statement of around 500 words outlining your interest in this programme.
- At least one academic reference.
International19350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19350 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK Part-time fee: £1000 per 20 credits
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.