The Master in Applied Linguistics from the University of Glasgow is designed for you to become a research-led specialist in areas such as language and education, intercultural communication, language & politics, and professional discourse.
You will design and undertake your own applied research project as part of this degree.
Why This Programme
- The MSc in Applied Linguistics will help you see beneath the surface of language, to develop critical insights into language practices, and to design practical solutions for linguistic challenges in professional and public life.
- This programme is especially suitable for those already working in language-based careers who wish to sharpen their understanding and boost their prospects.
- A key strength of this programme is its flexibility, allowing you to supplement specialist courses in Applied Linguistics with a wide range of topics of your choosing, including discourse analysis, name studies, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, phonetics, and more.
- Our facilities include an outstanding provision of linguistic laboratories, including digital humanities, corpus resources, and phonetics.
Masters graduates in Applied Linguistics have a wide range of career options available to them in careers where language and communication skills are valued and developed. The degree is especially suitable for those wishing to develop their careers in teaching, communications or administration and to enhance their prospects at home and internationally.
You will also be well qualified to study for a PhD in Applied Linguistics or Linguistics more generally.
- Research Training
- Methods in Written Text Analysis
- Methods in Sociolinguistics
- Methods in Phonetics
- Experimental Design and Data Analysis
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 475 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- The entry requirement for this postgraduate taught programme is a 2.1 Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification in English Language, Linguistics, Education or another relevant subject. Suitable practical experience will be considered as an alternative on an individual basis.
- A copy (or copies) of your official degree certificate(s) (if you have already completed your degree)
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Official English translations of the certificate(s) and transcript(s)
- One reference letter on headed paper
- A copy of the photo page of your passport (Non-EU students only)
International17620 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17620 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Home and EU: Part-time fee: £889 per 20 credits
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.