Law is changing. Lawyers increasingly need to operate in the context of a plurality of jurisdictions and legal sources. As a consequence, a growing number of legal actors (in courts as outside courts and even in the legislative process) need to operate in multiple jurisdictions and be comfortable working with different legal sources.
At the same time, economic and social integration increases the multinational character of the cases in which lawyers are called in to assist on a daily basis. This has also given rise to an emerging international market for legal services.
All this requires a different type of lawyer from the traditional lawyer trained exclusively in a particular domestic legal system. It requires a truly international legal education, where courses are specifically tailored to meet the challenges of this pluralism of legal sources and jurisdictions. This is the purpose of this Master/LL.M. Degree on Law in a European and Global Context .
The Law in a European and Global Context at Catholic University of Portugal will adopt the approach to teaching that Joseph Weiler has coined as “Total Law™”. This represents a bold pedagogical and intellectual break with the traditional ways of teaching Law.
The students enrolled in this course will face a huge effort with which most will be unfamiliar: it will demand a sustained level of very high commitment, preparation and engagement. But the rewards will be rich: both in intellectual excitement and professional formation.
Students are encouraged to take advantage of the exchange agreements with top American and European Law Schools, and attend an additional semester abroad.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Thinking for Lawyers
- Legal Research
- Legal Writing
- Strategic Decision-Making for Lawyers
- The Economics of the Legal System
- Comparative and Global Administrative Law
- Comparative Corporate Law
- Comparative Judicial Decision-Making
- Comparative Private Law
- Comparative Public Law
- Competition Law in a Digital Economy
- Constitutionalism and Global Governance
- Data Protection Law
- EU Fundamental Rights
- EU Governance of Money
- European Law after Brexit: The EU and the UK
- Foreign Investment Arbitration
- Human Rights in a Digital World
- International Trade Law
- Law in the Age of Climate Change
- Litigating before European Courts
- The Dynamics of EU Institutions Law
- The Law of European Integration I and II
- The Law of Transnational Private Governance
- Transnational Migration and Refugee Law
- Transparency and Corruption
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications for the academic year 2022/23 are open.
Early bird applications until 31 January 2022 | 10% discount on tuition fees.
DisciplinesEuropean Law Civil & Private Law Master of Laws (LLM) View 10 other Masters in Master of Laws (LLM) in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All LL.M. candidates must hold a first degree in law.
- Preference will be given to candidates with strong academic record.
- You may submit your application at any time.
- LL.M. applications must be completed with all required documentation. Successful applicants will be sent a formal letter of admission.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 12 months.
Full-time programme: 1 year
- € 14.000 payable until July
- € 15.000 payable in 10 monthly installments
Part-time programme: 2 years
- € 16.000 payable in 2 instalments
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Scholarships may be granted to a limited number of students on the basis of merit. To apply, please send a request letter describing your particular circumstances.ELSA SCHOLARSHIP
Católica Global School of Law is providing a full scholarship for one ELSA member. The application is to be submitted to Católica Global School of Law directly.
In addition to the LL.M. application, you have to submit a Motivation Letter to ELSA International explaining why you are the right applicant for the scholarship.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.