The Master of Science in International Relations at Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) is of 2-year duration. The first year comprises compulsory courses including an introductory course, theory and method courses, and elective courses. In the third semester, students are encouraged to take a semester on exchange or to do an internship. Students can choose elective courses offered in the IR program, but also more broadly at NMBU. The master thesis of 30 ECTS is written in the fourth and final semester. Students attending the program typically represent around 20 nations from all continents, each year.
You will learn the theoretical foundations required to understand IR today, and use these to analyse global political developments from various entry points. You will learn about security, environment, war, violence, state-building, diplomacy, etc. The Masters dissertation will enable you to engage in independent research in a topic of your choice. The program increases the practical understanding of international interactions through (optional) internships and academic exchange programs.
Graduates may compete for jobs within:
- civil administration
- international organizations
- research and education institutions
- private sector working in international environments.
This program is currently the only Master’s degree in International Relations offered at a Norwegian university.
- International Relations Theory
- Research Methods
- International Relations
- European security and the power and role of the EU
- Feminist and Critical IR Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCommunication Studies International Relations International Development View 9 other Masters in International Development in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent in a relevant field with a GPA of minimum 'C' is required to be eligible for application to the program.
- Copy of foreign passport or ID card
- Documentation of upper secondary school
- Documentation of higher education
- Courses to be completed
- Documentation of English language proficiency
- Documentation of financing
- Motivation Letter
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Since NMBU is a publicly funded state university, there are no tuition fees.
- However, most students must pay a small semester fee.
Living costs for Ås
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.