The overall aim of the course is to educate specialists in the field of Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology. Graduates from the Waterford Institute of Technology will have the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to work in the area of enhancing sports performance, sports participation and best practice at a variety of age and performance levels.
Graduates will have the ability to further the psychological development of athletes, coaches, teachers and other specialists from a broad-based, sound theoretical and applied course. Applied sports psychology focuses on teaching skills to enhance athletic performance such as goal setting and imagery.
The programme is delivered through a blend of methods consisting of lectures, seminars, workshops, projects, e-learning and placement. The course is a full time course and lectures will run every Monday from 9 to 5 in semester 1 and 2. Students must attend the residential weeks in each semester. Semester 3 also consists of 1 residential week and will be used to facilitate meetings with a personal portfolio supervisor.
A student who accumulates 60 credits in Semester 1 and 2 and who does not wish to complete the MSc may, at the discretion of the Programme Board, be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Sport & Exercise Psychology.
What are the career opportunities?
This MSc is designed to provide opportunities for athletes, coaches, physical education teachers, sports science graduates, sports leaders, sports development officers, volunteers and exercise specialists to upgrade their knowledge and develop applied skills in the area of applied sport, performance and exercise psychology. There is a demand for training in this field for those whose ambition is to work in high performance sport settings.
In Ireland and the UK, many of those trained in applied sport and exercise psychology have undertaken roles as performance directors, sport coaches and sport management. Thus employability is likely to be strong not just for those who wish to train as practitioners, but for those for whom a postgraduate qualification in this domain augments their other qualifications and professional experience.
Completion of the MSc in Applied Sport & Exercise Psychology can provide the basis for further professional qualifications by both the Irish Institute of Sport and the British Association of Sport Sciences. Both these organisations require a MSc in the field of sport and exercise psychology for professional recognition.
- Applied Sport Psychology
- Executive Business Coaching
- Contemporary Social Psychology
- Exercise Psychology
- Team Building Strategies
- Sports Performance Psychology
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Management Studies Sports Sciences View 51 other Masters in Psychology in Ireland
- A bachelors degree at honours level (Level 8) in the areas of sports science, recreation and sport or physical education OR
- A bachelors degree at honours level (Level 8) in psychology or a related discipline and a level of significant performance and/or coaching experience in sport accompanied by necessary qualifications OR
- Equivalent qualification, accreditation may be given to prior learning and previous sporting experience.
- WIT wishes to carefully evaluate applications from non-standard applicants. The number of places available on the course will be limited therefore an interview process may be required in the student selection procedure.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English, please see WIT’s English Language Requirements for details.
International11500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 EUR per year during 18 months.
EU/EEA5950 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5950 EUR per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Waterford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.