The Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology program offered by Waterford Institute of Technology is designed to educate specialists in the field of Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology.
Graduates will have the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to work in the area of enhancing sports performance, sports participation and best practice at a variety of age and performance levels. Graduates will have the ability to further the psychological development of athletes, coaches, teachers and other specialists from a broad-based, sound theoretical and applied course.
Our program focuses on teaching skills to enhance athletic performance such as goal setting and imagery. If you enjoy helping athletes and people achieve their full sporting and exercise potential, solving complex problems and working as part of a team.
Graduates with M.S. in Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology from Waterford Institute of Technology will be able to:
- Consult with athletes and teams with a view to providing psychological skills training appropriate to the individual and commensurate with their level of participation.
- Consult with organizations, individuals and exercise professionals with regards to exercise psychology skills training and consultation.
- Organise and operate workshops for coaches, teachers and exercise specialist in aspects of sport and exercise psychology.
- Guide and advise clubs, schools, coaches, parents and athletes in the application of sport psychology theories and practices and assist NGBs in the area of planning and implementing policy relating to participation, performance and periodisation of the training from a psychological perspective.
- Provide an arena for sports people to engage in reflective assessment of their involvement in sports, exercise and future developments.
- Plan and conduct research in sport and exercise psychology.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Sport Psychology
- Executive Business Coaching
- Contemporary Social Psychology
- Exercise Psychology
- Team Building Strategies
- Sports Performance Psychology
- Mental Skills Training
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology Sports Sciences View 17 other Masters in Sports Sciences in Ireland
A bachelors degree at honours level (Level 8) in the areas of sports science, recreation and sport or physical education OR A bachelors degree at honours level (Level 8) in psychology or a related discipline and a level of significant performance and/or coaching experience in sport accompanied by necessary qualifications OR Equivalent qualification, accreditation may be given to prior learning and previous sporting experience.
Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English.
International11500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11500 EUR per year and a duration of 18 months.
EU/EEA5950 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5950 EUR per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.