Students will gain an in-depth understanding of national security issues and the increasing focus on cross-governmental responses to security challenges. The course will also deal with conceptual and theoretical questions relating to national security.
The National Security Studies MA course at King's College London will provide a mixture of UK national security analysis, with analysis of national security approaches in the international context.
- Transferable skills such as the development of practical, policy-oriented insights.
- High level presentation skills/effective writing development.
- Development of strategic analysis and policy development.
- Development of in-depth and critical analysis of national security, and familiarisation with the latest research in the discipline.
- A chance to network and connect with visiting academics, government ministers, diplomats and other experts in the field of national security.
Career prospectsWar Studies graduates go on to work for NGOs, the FCO, the MOD, the Home Office, NATO, the UN or pursue careers in journalism, finance, academia, the diplomatic services, the armed forces and more. Recent posts held by our alumni include Threat Analyst, Director of Political Violence Forecasting, Research Advisor at NATO Defence College, Foreign Policy Fellow.
- National Security Studies
- Cyber Security
- Intelligence & Small Wars
- Chemical, Biological, Nuclear (CBN) Weapons in the Hands of States
- The Past & Present of British Intelligence
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTerrorism & Security View 125 other Masters in Terrorism & Security in United Kingdom
- Undergraduate degree with high 2:1 honours (i.e. overall average of at least 65% across all years of study) in history, international relations, political science, economics or other appropriate subject. Candidates who do not achieve a 2:1 or hold a first degree but have relevant professional or voluntary experience will also be considered.
- A personal statement of up to 4,000 characters (maximum 2 pages) is required.
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- Two references are required with at least one academic.
- Applicants may wish to include a CV (Resume) or evidence of professional registration as part of their application.
International26550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26550 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA14700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU fees: £7,350 per year
- Overseas fees: £13,275per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.