The Critical Studies programme at Academy of Fine Arts Vienna is aimed at students who either possess a diploma or B.A. in a discipline from the field of humanities or those who have achieved a corresponding qualification in an artistic discipline.
The programme pursues three teaching objectives. It is intended to prepare students for academic doctoral studies, primarily in art theory and cultural studies but also in the disciplines of education in the arts and in architecture. It is intended to equip students to continue artistic research towards a Ph.D. in practice or a comparable qualification.
It is intended to prepare students for activities in public artistic and cultural fields of practice, especially for work in journalism, specialised and academic journalism as well as for curatorial, archival, mediational and other such activities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The programme comprises of five modules.
- Studentsenroll for course units from these modules during each of the first three semesters. In the first module students individually participate in the regular artistic study programme at the Institute for Fine Art although to a limited extent.
- In the second module students develop artistic-academic approaches in a study project with teachers from different discplines. In the third module students select seminars from the Institute for Art Theory and Cultural Studies.
- In the fourth module students attend a practice-oriented seminar held by an external specialist. In the fifth module students are inducted into methodologies of academic work. In the fourth semester students develop their master's project.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Valid passport or proof of citizenship with official photo identification
- Two passport-size photos
- Documentation of transfer / 'Abgangsbescheinigung' with the transfer from an Austrian university (required only if you have begun an identical study program at another Austrian university that you would like to continue at the Academy)
- Proof of social security number (if applicable)
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 363 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.