The course will cover globalisation, corporate and economic control, increasing global population and the effects of industry-scale agriculture and materials production on ecosystems and our environment.Taught at the Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT), which pioneered sustainability practice and theory in the UK, this is the first MSc course to properly integrate the social, political, economic and practical aspects of sustainable food and natural resources production. This Masters degree tackles these themes through a combination of academic study, discussion and hands-on practical work.At CAT, we give our MSc students the knowledge, skills and experience needed to develop rewarding careers with confidence and competence. The programme draws on our expert staff and a wide selection of academics and specialist guest lecturers – people who have made exceptional contributions to environmental thinking and action.
- Ecosystems and biodiversity;
- Land and resources in cities;
- Sustainable materials, supply chains and energy provision;
- The science of food and growing;
- Political and economic aspects;
- Sustainable food management, diet and health.
Core modules• Adaptation and Sustainability: Concepts and Planning (30 credits)• Ecosystem Services: Land Use, Water and Waste Management (15 credits)• Food Production and Consumption (15 credits)• The Science of Sustainable Food Production (15 credits)• MSc Dissertation (60 credits)Optional modules• Environmental Politics and Economics (15 credits)• Cities and Communities (15 credits)• Energy Provision (15 credits)• Sustainable Materials in the Built Environment (15 credits)• Applied Project (15 credits)• Work-based Project (15 credits)
- 18 months
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesNatural Resource Management Food Sciences View 107 other Masters in Food Sciences in United Kingdom
- A student may gain admission to a programme, with advanced standing, with up to half of the credits associated with the award being achieved through accredited experiential learning, or up two thirds through accredited masters certificated learning.
- Students that apply to enter stages of the programme may be admitted through normal Accreditation of Experiential Learning (AEL) or Accreditation of Certificated Learning (ACL) processes, or through an approved articulation agreement.
- In the case of applicants whose first language is not English, then IELTS is required.
International7950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7950 GBP per year and a duration of 18 months.
EU/EEA6650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6650 GBP per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.