The Master of Arts in American Studies offered at the University of Heidelberg provides students with basic knowledge of North America from the early colonial period through the 21st century, including its politics, literature, culture, geography, history, and society, as well as its ethnic diversity and religious influences. To meet the challenges of this complex research subject, the American Studies program at Heidelberg University is explicitly multi- and interdisciplinary.
The expert interdisciplinary and intercultural qualifications gained by graduates of the American studies program allow them to pursue careers in science, the public sector, business, the media, or civic organizations. These include international organizations, publishing houses, cultural institutions, university and non-university scientific institutions, political and business consultancies, project management, and adult education. The HCA also regularly invites its alumni back to speak to current students and introduce potential career opportunities to them.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructurePrimary research interests include
- Afro-American History
- Religious History (specifically, Puritanism and early Evangelicalism) from a Transatlantic Perspective
- History of Bible Interpretations in the USA
- The Literary Market
- Urban Inequality and Current Processes in North American Urban Development
- Studies of US Economic History and Trade Policy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- An above-average B.A. degree in American studies, English studies, geography, history, political science, religious studies/history, theology/church history, or a related field. The degree program should award 180 European credit points (CP) or have a length of at least three years of study.
- A motivation letter written in English (600 words), in which you explain your educational background and its relation to the field of American Studies, as well as indicate the scholarly interests you plan to pursue within the M.A. in American Studies program.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1500 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.