The Medical Art MSc from University of Dundee starts by giving you a strong foundation in anatomy, observational drawing, and anatomical illustration skills, before moving on to more specialised modules in the second semester.
You will have the opportunity to work on live briefs with a range of experts and will be introduced to more specialist software enabling you to create 3D interactive models, animations and virtual reality experiences.
Medical art is also used by the pharmaceutical industry to help explain their products and in the court room to help lay jury members understand complex topics.
Medical artists produce work in a wide range of media including traditional illustrations, as well as interactive 3D models, and animations.
You have access to our art school and our medical science facilities, and will learn anatomy from Thiel embalmed cadavers and prosections. These cadavers are soft-fix, which means they retain real-to-life qualities, including realistic colour, tissue quality and flexibility.
You'll be taught by highly specialised tutors from scientific backgrounds such as anatomy, as well as experienced medical art supervisors. Our staff work closely with the NHS, the Institute of Medical Illustrators, and the Medical Artists’ Association of Great Britain.
Our alumni have gone on to work in the following fields:
- NHS medical illustration departments producing patient information and illustration services for staff
- e-learning in medical schools
- 3D model making (including clinical/surgical skills trainers) companies
- digital art and animation studios
- publishing houses
- illustration studios
- medico-legal artwork
- freelance illustration and fine art applications
- special effects and the media/film world
- academia – teaching or research
- PhD research
Short term internships may be offered to selected students following graduation. Previous placements have included the Royal College of Surgeons in London, the Technology and Innovative Learning Team at Ninewells Hospital, and Limbs and Things in Bristol.
This course is accredited by Institute of Medical Illustrators
- Anatomy - Head & Neck
- Research Methods
- Anatomy – Body Systems
- Life Art
- Medical Art: Contemporary Theory and Practice
- Medical Art: Communication and Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Human Medicine View 996 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- First or upper second class honours degree in art/design or related medical/anatomical science.
- A portfolio of artwork demonstrating competency across both traditional and digital media. You should submit between 10-15 images including a number of examples from direct observation, such as life drawing or portrait sculpture. You will be invited to upload your portfolio after we receive your application.Relevant professional experience will be taken into account if you have no graduate qualifications.
- No more than 50MB
- Named using your full name and student ID number e.g. MaryAnnBaxter_1234567.pdf
Relevant professional experience will be taken into account if you have no graduate qualifications.
International19900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Dundee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.