Research into Biotechnology at Karl-Franzens University of Graz intends to make biosystems (enzymes, cells from higher organisms, animals and plants) accessible for use in industry, agriculture, environment and medicine. Students acquire comprehensive and interdisciplinary theoretical knowledge of scientific areas such as molecular biotechnology, environment and food technology, enzyme technology, biocatalysis and bioprocess technology.
Focuses lie on teaching molecular competences related to technological analysis of biosystems (engineering of biosystems) and on process-technical competences necessary for the development and implementation of biotechnological applications and processes.
Due to their practical training in the context of intense practical tutorials, students learn about the biotechnological manufacture of different products (food and animal feed, pharmaceuticals, chemical products, etc.), process chains, production support, computer-based methods for processing sequence, structure and metabolism data as well as methods of working and analysis. Students have the opportunity to individualise their qualification profile and adapt it to their future career plans.
- Graduates of the master’s programme will have acquired sound theoretical and applied knowledge of biotechnology, one of today’s key technologies.
- They will be able to plan and carry out experiments and analysis on an independent basis.
- Due to their interdisciplinary education, graduates will be able to think in an interdisciplinary and analytical way, will have acquired excellent troubleshooting competences and will be able to critically analyse existing troubleshooting approaches.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Molecular Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
- Bioprocess Technology
- Environmental and Food Biotechnology
- Laboratory Project Biotechnology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology View 10 other Masters in Biology in Austria
- Copy of passport
- Original evidence of accomplished Bachelor/ Diploma (transcript of records and degree diploma)
- In the country where the Bachelor/Diploma degree was received, original evidence of admission to equivalent Master studies also stating general duration of this study programme at a recognized university for the semester/year in which admission in Graz is sought (EU/ EEA citizen excluded)
- prove your English language competence
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 726 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.