The objective of the Master of Science in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research is to educate engineers capable of designing and operating industrial systems in an efficient and effective manner.
The programme at Ghent University combines the fields of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research in a synergistic manner. Students will acquire expertise in the design, modelling and optimisation of complex operational systems in the manufacturing, distribution and service industries, grounded in thorough knowledge of scientific, technological, economic, organizational and human factors. Engineers graduating from this master are therefore ideally prepared to tackle real-life problems and challenges that arise in the pursuit of operational excellence within companies and organizations.
They will design and improve the core activities of companies, relying on a solid knowledge of supporting technologies, information systems, mathematical models and a range of techniques, such as mathematical optimisation, stochastic modelling, simulation, search algorithms, dynamic programming, statistics, decision techniques, network analysis, etc.
Graduates will have both the technological and social skills to assume leadership and people management positions. In addition, they acquire the necessary skills to conduct scientific research into improved Operational Research techniques, and/or their application in resolving complex issues in the area of Industrial Engineering, and are capable of doing so by embracing a lifelong learning attitude.
- To have an in-depth know-how of and skills in the area of the mathematical analysis, modelling and optimisation of complex industrial engineering systems and operational processes, both by way of discrete as well as continuous models.
- To possess a broadly based knowledge of the various fields of application that involve operational research techniques, with the inclusion of supporting and steering information systems, such as industrial manufacturing, logistics, service companies, administrative and management processes, social systems such as traffic, communications, ...
- To hold a holistic view of business processes and the role of the human element in these processes, in order to be able to effectively operationalise the technological improvements that have been designed. This equally comprises the ability to train and motivate the staff involved.
- To have the necessary knowledge of the areas of industrial engineering that are immediately relevant, in support of the engineer’s efficiency, i.e. corporate finance, cost and investment analysis, organisational science.
- To have an in-depth knowledge of the fields of application in Industrial Engineering (such as logistics, production, ergonomics), in order to be able to effectively implement the IE techniques in practice, and to assume the operational steering and responsibility of departments and business units, in SMEs in particular, with due expertise.
- To have an in-depth knowledge of the mathematical techniques of operational research in order to be able to perform basic research and applied research in this matter and to be able to operate in specialist study and research departments in the world of private industry, in the way these are largely found in software companies, consultancy businesses, engineering consultancy agencies, multinationals.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Supply Chain Engineering
- Manufacturing Planning and Control
- Information Technology and Data Processing
- Methods Engineering and Work Measurement
- Quality Engineering and Industrial Statistics
- Engineering Economy
- Simulation of Manufacturing and Service Systems
- Industrial Systems Modeling and Optimization
- Design of Manufacturing and Service Operations
- Heuristics and Search Methods
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering
- Holders of an appropriate Belgian academic bachelor degree
- Holders of a foreign university bachelor degree or higher education bachelor diploma: bachelor of minimum three years
- In some cases applicants cannot be admitted directly to a master programme but have to do a specific preparatory or linking course (between 45 and 90 ECTS credits) first , depending on their previous studies
International5624 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5624 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA938 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 938 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.