Building on the influential research of the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) and Sussex Energy Group, teaching is led by academics who are developing new interdisciplinary thinking in energy policy and applying this to contemporary challenges around the world.
This unique online Energy Policy Masters offers a broad-based, social science training in energy policy, incorporating ideas from economics, political science and innovation studies, focusing in particular on the role of innovation. The approach is interdisciplinary, practical and applied. You’ll study real-world policy problems and gain the skills required to analyse those problems and propose viable policy solutions.
Why choose this course?
• Gain access to world-renowned academics from Sussex’s Science Policy Research Unit and the Sussex Energy Group.
• Choose practical teaching, exploring current global examples, delivered by those developing policies and driving global change.
• Graduate with a razor-sharp understanding of the economic, political and scientific implications of policymaking for a better future.
• Hone the knowledge and skills required by employers in the public, private and third sectors.
• Learn within a global cohort of students, bringing their own experiences and ideas to the table.
• Study 100% online in your own time from your own home, benefitting from Sussex’s expertise from wherever you are in the world.
• Benefit from dedicated student support and specialist services for online students.
• Choose from six start dates a year, with the flexibility to pause your studies if you need to.
Developed by leading learning technologists, this course has been specifically designed to be delivered online. Teaching takes place within a Virtual Learning Environment and involves interactive lectures, seminars, group and independent work. You will be encouraged to work with fellow students, collaborate on ideas and share your own experiences.
• Introduction to Energy Policy
• Policy analysis
• Understanding the policy making process
• Science, technology and innovation
• Energy and sustainability
• Energy justice
• Perspectives, methods & skills
• Quantitative research methods for Energy Policy
• Governing energy transitions
• Energy and development
• Energy and economic growth
• Energy Policy capstone project
Designed for students who want to advance their knowledge and careers, you will gain the essential skills needed for jobs in government, NGOs and private companies across the world.
Always verify the dates on the programme website. programme website.
Modules start dates and course intakes occur every two months. This MSc gives you the flexibility to step on and off the course, pausing your studies if they need to*.
*maximum study break applies.
Please speak to our Admissions Team to find application deadlines for each intake.
The course is comprised of twelve 15-credit taught modules.
You need the following IELTS score:
Minimum required score:
The IELTS – or the International English Language Test System – tests your English-language abilities (writing, listening, speaking, and reading) on a scale of 1.00–9.00. The minimum IELTS score requirement refers to which Overall Band Score you received, which is your combined average score. Read more about IELTS.Schedule IELTS
You need the following GPA score:
Applicants for graduate programs must have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA equivalent to Lower Second Class on the UK Honour scale. Admitted applicants typically have an undergraduate GPA of or better on the UK Honour scale. No exam grade should be lower than 4.5 (European grade scale) or D (American grade scale).
Your GPA (Grade Point Average) is calculated using the grades that you received in each course, and is determined by the points assigned to each grade (e.g. for the US grading scale from A-F).
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Cost per module: £955
Check the programme website for information about funding options.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS, Studyportals offers you the chance to receive up to £10000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.
Compare your wishlisted programmes with our new Comparison tool!
Did you know you can compare your wishlisted programmes with our new Comparison tool?