Taught by globally leading experts in renewable energy, sustainability and innovation, this Masters offers a distinct interdisciplinary approach with a focus on climate change and the role of innovation in finding lasting solutions for a sustainable future. Taught 100% online, you’ll learn from experts who are leading policy change around the world, collaborate and build networks with an international group of like-minded professionals and fit your Masters study around your career.
Building on the influential research of the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) and Sussex Energy Group, one of the largest energy research groups in the world, the MSc in Energy Policy is led by academics who are developing new interdisciplinary thinking in energy policy and applying it to contemporary challenges around the world.
This unique Energy Policy Masters at University of Sussex is taught 100% online and offers a broad-based, social science training in energy policy, incorporating ideas from economics, political science and innovation studies. With climate change as a focus, you’ll explore the role of policy and innovation in transforming energy systems, while sharpening your analytical and decision-making skills.
You’ll connect with fellow energy professionals from around the world and build a network of liked-minded peers, looking to lead the transition to clean energy globally.
Why choose this course?
- Gain access to world leading expertise from Sussex’s Science Policy Research Unit and the Sussex Energy Group.
- Choose practical teaching, exploring current global examples, delivered by those developing policies and driving global change.
- Graduate with a razor-sharp understanding of the economic, political and scientific implications of policymaking for a better future.
- Learn within a global cohort of like-minded professionals, bringing their own experiences, challenges and ideas to the table.
- Fit your Masters around your professional and personal commitments. Study 100% online in your own time from your own home.
- Benefit from dedicated student support and specialist services for online students.
- Choose from six start dates a year, with the flexibility to pause your studies if you need to.
As a graduate of this course, you’ll have the skills and knowledge to work in government, NGOs and private companies in whichever country you choose.
Graduates from this course have gone on to careers in international organisations including;
- The OECD and UNDP
- The UK Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Government of British Columbia
- Thee International Social Science Council
- Green Jobs Alliance.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Developed by leading learning technologists, this course has been specifically designed to be delivered online.
Teaching takes place within a Virtual Learning Environment and involves interactive lectures, seminars, group and independent work. You will be encouraged to work with fellow students, collaborate on ideas and share your own experiences.
Modules commence every eight weeks and provide the flexibility to step on and off the course as your professional and personal commitments require.
- Introduction to Energy Policy
- Policy analysis
- Understanding the policy making process
- Science, technology and innovation
- Energy and sustainability
- Energy justice
- Perspectives, methods & skills
- Quantitative research methods for Energy Policy
- Governing energy transitions
- Energy and development
- Energy and economic growth
- Energy Policy capstone project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Modules start dates and course intakes occur every two months. This MSc gives you the flexibility to step on and off the course, pausing your studies if they need to*.
*maximum study break applies.
Please speak to our Admissions Team to find application deadlines for each intake.
The course is comprised of twelve 15-credit taught modules.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Economics & Policy Sustainable Energy View 23 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- GPA: Lower second class honours
- English requirements: IELTS 6.5
- A lower second-class (2:2) undergraduate honours degree or above from any UK university or international equivalent.
- You may also be considered for the course if you have other professional qualifications or experience of equivalent standing.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5725 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5725 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA5725 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5725 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Cost per module: £955
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.