The Biology programme of the University of Gothenburg gives you the opportunity for in-depth studies in one of three profiles—ecophysiology, evolutionary biology, and conservation biology—allowing you to develop the tools and competence to compete on the job market or pursue further research. Each profile contains recommended courses (see the list below), but you can also widen your studies by choosing other elective in-depth courses in biology or other suitable subjects.
Balancing theory and practice
The teaching is both based on theory and practically oriented, and takes the form of lectures, exercises, laboratory work, excursions, and group work. Individual courses also include study visits and internships, and part of the teaching takes place at our marine field stations Tjärnö outside Strömstad and at Kristineberg outside Fiskebäckskil. You will conduct your degree project at the end of the programme. It can be conducted in a research group or externally with, for example, a government agency or a company. You can also conduct your degree project at another university in Sweden or abroad.
- Global Change: problem, analysis, measures
- An Introduction to Ecophysiology: plants and animal
- Comparative Physiology of Marine Animals including Applications for Aquaculture
- Evolutionary Ecology
- Conservation and the Genetics of Populations
- Stream Ecology and Fish Conservation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Microbiology View 52 other Masters in Biology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- University studies of at least three full years, equal to a Bachelor's degree in Science in Biology, Marine or Environmental Science, including at least 60 credits in biology including one in-depth course in biology of at least 15 credits
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- Selection is based upon the number of credits from previous university studies, maximum 225 credits
International11910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23820 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 242,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.