You'll learn the advanced skills needed to understand the impact of geological conditions on engineering structures such as tunnels, dams, mines, quarries, offshore platforms and wind farms, plan and conduct detailed investigations into surface and subsurface geology to identify adverse ground conditions, and design suitable remedial measures for these types of structures.
Geological expertise is critical in all types of civil engineering projects – and when you graduate, you'll be able to meet the huge national and international demand for specialist engineering geologists. The course will lead to a career in the environmental, engineering geological and geotechnical sectors.
Potential roles include geotechnical engineer, engineering geologist, mining engineer and tunneling engineer for major mining companies, as well as environmental, geological and geotechnical consultancies.
Our previous graduates have also pursued careers in:
- Engineering geology consultants
- Geotechnical consultants and contractors
- Environmental organisations
- Marine and offshore consultants
- Civil service and local government
- Mining and quarry industries
This course is accredited by the Geological Society of London. It offers advanced professional and scientific training, providing an accelerated route for you to attain Chartered Status, such as Chartered Geologist (CGeol) and Chartered Scientist (CSci) on graduation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Design
- Rock Mechanics and Engineering Design
- Contaminated Land and Groundwater
- Ground Models and Ground Investigation
- Research Skills and Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Make your application as soon as possible.
DisciplinesGeology General Engineering & Technology View 67 other Masters in Geology in United Kingdom
- A 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant Earth Science or Civil Engineering field such as Geology, Earth Science Civil Engineering or a related discipline. Applicants with industrial and work experience will also be considered.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.