Based on both fundamental research and applied sciences, molecular and cellular biology contribute enormously to the decryption of molecular processes, and to the development and discovery of novel drugs, energy sources, or enzymes for industrial applications.
The master’s program in Molecular and Cellular Biology at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich Biocenter links modern molecular methods to a large number of disciplines and is oriented towards highly motivated and globally diverse next-generation researchers with a strong interest in molecular and cellular mechanisms.
The program is taught in English and it offers state-of-the-art education in a variety of topics such as Cell Biology, Genetics, Human Biology and Genomics, and Microbiology. Our aim is to offer our students a comprehensive preparation for meeting future challenges in science-related professional careers within the field of molecular and cellular biology.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch environment in Munich
- The Faculty of Biology at LMU Munich is made up of internationally recognized researchers and award-winning instructors.
- The faculty provides excellent facilities for contemporary research and studies in the modern Biocenter, part of the LMU HighTechCampus.
- High profile institutions are situated in close vicinity, including the Max Planck Institutes for Biochemistry and Neuroscience, the German Research Center for Environmental Health, the Gene Center, the Faculty for Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Science and the brand new Biomedical Center.
- The existing cooperative network with these institutions provides students with excellent teaching resources and a rich and unique research environment.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- You have successfully completed a bachelor's degree with a total of at least 180 ECTS credits in biology or a related subject, e.g. bioinformatics, (bio)chemistry, (bio)physics, biotechnology.
- Your bachelor's curriculum degree must include a final research project with a written thesis credited with at least 10 ECTS credits.
- You have a transcript of records from your bachelor’s program with a grade point average. If you are currently a bachelor student, you should submit a transcript of records with an ECTS credits level of at least 120 ECTS credits and a preliminary grade point average.
- You have proof of your proficiency in English.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
While there is no tuition for standard programs, all students are required to pay a fee of €129,40 for student services.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.