The coursework modules of the Religion Studies (Coursework) programme from University of Pretoria, in case of the coursework master's degree, provide the opportunity to acquire specialist skills in the practical field of the Ministry.
The Faculty of Theology and Religion is one of the leading theological institutions in South Africa and in Africa at large. It is known for its quality research, relevant teaching and learning programmes, and community engagement, especially through its Centres.
The University of Pretoria has the oldest fully-fledged Faculty of Theology and Religion in South Africa, and our Faculty is rated first in Africa and 14th in the world in terms of research impact. This is proof of the high standard at which theology is practised at the University of Pretoria and the fact that academic excellence is a non-negotiable trait of the Faculty.
- Research methodology
- Mini-dissertation: Biblical and religious studies
- Living Islam
- History of Islam
- Christian-Muslim encounters
- Biblical archaeology
- History and historiography
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Christian Studies General Studies & Classics View 21 other Masters in Christian Studies in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Relevant honours degree or relevant four-year bachelor’s degree
- A weighted average of at least 65% at final-year level
- Hebrew passed at second-year level of the bachelor’s degree (for the MTh in Old Testament Studies) or an admissions examination may be required
- Greek passed at second-year level of the bachelor’s degree – for the MTh (New Testament Studies) or an admissions examination may be required
- An average of at least 65% is required for an admissions examination – for the MTh (Pastoral Family Therapy)
International4734 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4734 EUR per year during 24 months.
National2367 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2367 EUR per year during 24 months.
- SA and SADC countries citizens: From R39 605 to R52 115
- International: From R79,210 to R104 230
Living costs for Pretoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.