From various viewpoints corresponding to social sciences, the Master in International Studies on Media, Power and Difference at Pompeu Fabra University takes a critical, cross-cutting look at the power structures that lie behind communication practices (journalistic and persuasive or influence-oriented alike) and affect, reflect and interact within social processes related to difference and diversity.
The media have a major role in constructing societies' moral imaginary and, thus, in representing the Other and the difference thereof. The study of alterity through the lens of social communication is consequently one of the most internationally prestigious fields of research at present, due to its pioneering and multidisciplinary nature and its wealth of perspectives (cultural studies, the political economy of communication, and the ethics of mediation).
- A doctorate.
- A career in research in a department, a laboratory or a public or private institute.
- A career in communication.
- Communication-related work in a national or international governmental or non-governmental organization.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The Ethics of Mediation: Difference and Power
- Research Methods
- Intercultural Communication
- Power and Gender Diversity in the Media
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 13 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official undergraduate degree or equivalent degree. Preference is given to graduates in the area of communication and in any area of the social sciences, the legal sciences and the humanities wishing to make their career in the media, in communication offices and international agencies, in nongovernmental organizations or in governmental organizations at all levels. Graduates in other areas having professional experience in journalism, advertising, marketing or social media in general are also accepted.
- Academic transcript with the average grade, issued by the university of origin
- Curriculum Vitae
- Written presentation in English
International5750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5750 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA3302 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3302 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.