The Biochemistry and Molecular Biology MSc course at the University of Potsdam offers you both the opportunity to perform basic research and to pursue more application-related projects. In the field of biochemistry, you will focus on the dynamics and processes of protein synthesis and function, as well as their interactions at the intra- and extracellular levels. These processes are becoming relevant for such practical applications as diagnosis and therapy for neurodegenerative illnesses and tumorigenesis. Molecular biology, in contrast, studies molecular processes at the level of cells and organisms, opening up new prospects in genome research, cellular and systems biology, and plant and animal physiology. In addition to the discussion of the latest research questions in biochemistry and molecular biology, you will gain comprehensive, in-depth knowledge of the structure and use of biological databases, be able to use Internet-supported resources, and be in a position to apply methods from systems biology in the analysis and interpretation of high-throughput data. Furthermore, you will learn various techniques for data analysis, and become acquainted with new methods in nanobiotechnology.
- The master’s program allows you to expand and deepen the skills, specialized knowledge, and methodological skills that you attained in your bachelor’s studies. You will gain an overview of the current status of research in the fields of biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, genomics, systems biology, and biotechnology. You will also gain a thorough understanding of the essential concepts in these fields. You will be able to formulate scientific problems on your own, select appropriate methods and techniques, and thus successfully work on complex projects and publish the results. If you are pursuing a career in academia, there is the option of Doctoral studies.
- The skills you acquire in the master’s program qualify you for work in research, teaching, and development, for example at universities and other scientific institutions, as well as biotech or biomedical companies, and also in administration and management.
- Mandatory Modules
- Orientation Modules
- Advanced Research Practical
- Elective Modules
- Master's Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMolecular Sciences Biochemistry Genetics View 32 other Masters in Molecular Sciences in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- In general, the prerequisite for master’s studies at the University of Potsdam is an academic degree, such as a bachelor’s degree. Your first degree should be in a subject that is relevant to your course of study, for example in the biosciences, biochemistry, biotechnology, or biomedicine. To be admitted to the program, you must provide documentation of your knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry in the form of at least 60 credit points/ECTS.
- Because this degree program is taught in English, very good English skills are required, corresponding at least to the B2 level of the Common European Reference Framework for Languages. Moreover, German skills are required at least the A2 level of the CEFR.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- 280 Euros per semester administrative fee
Living costs for Potsdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.