What role do the media play in contemporary democracies, in political transformation, in war or crises in different regions of the world? Is today’s media society globally oriented or do modern media help to reproduce old stereotypes and heat up racism through hate speech? Does humankind from the US and Europe to Asia, Africa and Latin America share a common vision of an “information society”, in which knowledge and human relation-ships are increasingly “mediatized”? The program also addresses the individual psychological processing of media, the effectiveness of media content, and current transformations in media production and media.
By means of international comparisons, the Global Communication - Politics and Society programme offered by the University of Erfurt imparts deep knowledge of the interplay between media, politics and society. Mass media as well as social media and interpersonal communication are subjected to academic research.
Particularities of the Master’s program
Focus on International and Comparative Communication Research
Our Master’s program is innovative in that it considers "global communication" as the main area of teaching and research. We systematically promote comparative approaches in and between Europe, America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East in communication studies.
Individual Specialization Opportunities in "Politics", "Society" and "Media"
After our students have discovered theoretical and methodological principles in global media and communication research, they will deepen their expertise in optional compulsory modules. We discuss political, social and cultural effects and patterns of mediatization in the field of politics and society; in the field of media we focus on media-specific transformations. You can set your own focus of interest in choosing modules on an individual basis.
The program includes fundamental training in quantitative and qualitative methods and students will develop their own reasearch projects. There will be further opportunities to join research projects at the Department of Media and Communication Studies. We encourage independent research skills. According to the students performance, students can make use of a "fast track" for PhD-students.
- Theories of Global Media and Communication Research
- Methodologies of Global Media and Communication Research
- Internship: Academic Consultation for Politics and Society
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommerce Corporate Communication Political Science View 4 other Masters in Corporate Communication in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a relevant bachelor's degree in the area of media and communication studies or journalism studies. If students do hold a bachelor's degree in another subject area within the social sciences, proof of basic knowledge in the field of media and communication studies is required.
- prior knowledge of empirical methods (12 ECTS)
- very good English proficiency: TOEFL iBT: 80 or above, IELTS 6.5 or above; C1 (GER); equally accepted standards are a Bachelor degree in an English language program or 6 months of English language higher education experience in an English speaking country
- successful participation in the selection procedure, which includes a personal interview.
- Information about German language proficiency for students from abroad: German language proficiency is not required for admission.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- no tuition fees
Living costs for Erfurt
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.