The Building Performance (Energy Efficiency in Design) programme offered by Dublin Institute Of Technology is project based and explores a range of new build and renovation design strategies for residential and non-residential building types using a variety of digital modelling and environmental design software applications.
On successful completion of the MSc BP(EED) programme the student will be able to:
- Engage in high level research in the area of building performance and energy efficiency design and deep renovation technology.
- Provide specialist professional technical services at the forefront of the building performance and energy efficiency design and deep renovation field of learning.
- Provide leadership and engage creatively in a collaborative multi-disciplinary research and design environment.
- Apply relevant principles of building physics and mathematical calculation in the development of technically robust energy efficient design and deep renovation research and design propositions within their discipline.
- Make critical judgements based on scientific principles within a changing and ill-defined technological context, with an ability to analyse and measure novel and emerging technological propositions against building performance and energy efficiency design data and metrics.
- Record and present project case studies and design proposals using appropriate professional and academic report writing conventions.
Graduates of the MSc in Building Performance (Energy Efficiency in Design) will be uniquely qualified to research and assess the energy performance in new and existing building typologies including multi-unit residential and non-domestic typologies measured against national performance metrics.
They will be able to research and advise on insulation options assessed as safe in accordance with the best international standards and detail, specify and oversee the installation to ensure performance targets are met.
Graduates will understand the dynamics of thermal, moisture and air movement through building fabric and design the optimal balance of all three to ensure the integrity of any retrofit solution proposed and protect the structural longevity of the building fabric.
In short they will be leaders in the field of retrofit assessment and design. Their skills will be equally applicable to new build work where the principles of building fabric design are significantly more easily accommodated.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Policy & Technologies
- Calculation 7 Cost Optimality
- Energy Modelling Tools
- Hygrothermal Risk Assessment for Building Performance
- Thermal Bridge Calculation for Building Performance
- Building Environmental Assessment Methods
- Building Performance NZEB Design Project: Multi-Unit Residential
- Research Methods
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Sustainable Energy View 13 other Masters in Sustainable Energy in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Registered Architects
- Professionally qualified architects who are or have been members of the RIAI, subject to interview.
- Registered Building Surveyors
- Chartered Engineers
- Professionally qualified Engineers, subject to a minimum 2.2 Level 8 qualification plus 2 years minimum relevant accredited professional experience, or equivalent.
- Other technical design professionals subject to a minimum 2.2 Level 8 qualification plus 2 years minimum relevant accredited professional experience, or equivalent.
- Applicants may be required to demonstrate ability in architectural technical drawing and building fabric design.
EU/EEA2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
- €2,500 Year 1
- €3,000 Year 2
Living costs for Dublin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.